Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2000 not seeing Exchange 2003 over VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechieAdmin

IS-IT--Management
Oct 10, 2004
GB
I am trying to connect a Windows2K machine running outlook 200 to an Exchange 2003 server.

However if I try to configure the client to point at the server I just get a response that the server could not be found.

I can ping the server by it's name from the client.

How does outlook 2000 resolve the exchange name?

I am having this same issue. I think it is an issue with the ip traffic that exchange uses. It is not able to connect over the VPN. I also could not connect to OWA over the vpn using the IP address of the server. If I am able to find information on allowing this traffic over a vpn I will let you know. Another possiblity might be configure the client to access email using IMAP. This is similar to POP3 but leaves the messages on the server.

It is the VPN and the way it is setup. Most likely the inside network card on the VPN server is not set up right. Are you using a Microsoft VPN ?

We have had the same problem. We found that it was to do with the tcp ports used by exchange, as the system does not use the same port every time

Have a look at
This describes how to map static ports to an exchange server. Once you have done that you can configure your firewall to allow VPN uses access to those ports.

The first thing to look for is, when the VPN is active, that the default Gateway point to the VPN tunnel instead of the 'normal' one.
Start with checking that, and go from there.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
How Do You Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions?
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back