Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2000 multiple users - "feature you are trying to use..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rearview

MIS
May 28, 2002
US
I'm trying to set up Windows NT and 2000 machines for multiple users with Outlook 2000. I have profgen working, but when any new user logs onto any workstation (even with a FULL administrative install of Office 2000) it still wants to access data from the network drive. It does this on the first execution of Word and Excel also. How do I get it to not do that? Thanks,

We have the same problem where I work, solution I found was to log onto the machine as Domain User Full Access rights not Local Machine Admin. Then install Office 2000, once installed run Word, Excel etc. Click OK to any messages. Then once you have done this then log onto the machine as the user and you should be able to get into say Word without any messages appearing.

You might also want to consider when installing as Domain Admin that you select to install all options for MS Office, like the Organisation Charts, Filters etc. This will take more room on the hard drive, but then elimates the chances of a message coming up saying insert CD to install this feature or select network path etc.

When you install you might also want to consider copying the CD to the machine and installing from the hard drive, rather than a network drive or CD drive. Especially if you have shared a CD drive just to install Office on, as this could be a problem in the future when say Word needs to install a feature but cannot find the mapped network drive you used when you first installed. Good Luck!!

I tried that... I did a full install of the software (run all from my computer) But any time a user logged on that had never logged onto that computer before, it would go the Windows Installer thing... If I hit Cancel, it seemed to open Outlook okay, but I don't want to field 200 phone calls (my users call with every error message they get it seems...) I'm setting up a test workstation right now to try this on.

We use Office 2000 in a mixed NT/2000 environment, and I see the same problem.

You should find that this is only a problem with Outlook. I've found that if, as an administrator, you start up outlook and follow the steps through to the point where Outlook requests details of exchange server and so on, and then cancel out, it shouldnt subsequently happen again for a user.

It seems Outlook does not complete it's install until you have initially started it up and run it through to at least this point.

Hope that works for you !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back