Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2000 gone crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

nh39

MIS
Oct 25, 2002
US
Hi,

We have MS Outlook 2000 configured Exchange 2000. Just recently on one PC, every time we write a new message and select a contact from Contacts, it would freeze for a second and then closes Outlook completely. Nothing else happens - other applications still function normally. Is this some kind of virus? Or is it a glitch? Please advise. Any suggestion is appreciated.

nh39.

I've just experienced this issue as well on one of our user's PC's. Except once the user selects Contacts instead of Global Address List, Outlook hangs for a second and then closes. No error messages. No events logged in the eventviewer. I have run a Detect and Repair, I've deleted their Outlook profile and then set it up again. Nothing yet.

I'm going to recreate the user's network profile and if that doesn't work, maybe the user's personal address book is corrupt? Not sure if that is it either because they can navigate through the contacts, they just can't select it when composing a new message.

Exactly, the same problem. Reinstalling Office has fixed the problem for me but I'm still unable to find out what the cause is.

Well, I just recreated the user's network profile and ran a check disk. Didn't fix the problem. I created a folder on the user's desktop and copied all their contacts to that folder. I deleted the contacts out of Outlook and then imported the contacts back into the address book. Works fine now. Must have been corrupted.

That's easier than reinstalling Offce.

I believe outlook has a file 'outlook.cmd' that can get corrupted and cause various errors. If you're considereing a reinstall anyway, then try deleting this and relaunching Outlook (It should create a new one). Is similar to the problems suffered by Word's 'normal.dot' and Excel 2000's '*.xlb' file.

Regards
Ken............

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back