Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2000 From Field???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjjax

MIS
Sep 25, 2002
US
One of our users stumbled across something in Outlook 2000 that doesn't seem like it should be allowed. If you go to view and click on the from field when composing a new message, it will allow you to get to contact lists and chose to send from any user??? Is there a way to stop this? We are running Exchange 2000. Thanks, Joe

Adding the from field doesn't automatically allow you to send on the behalf of any user i think. to do this a user has to designate one or more deleguates. if this is the case then you use this field to send a mail on behalf of your boss for instance :)

Regards,

Adnane

Micorosft North Africa

Yes, you need "Send As" permissions on the mailbox to be able to use this feature. Try it - you will get a message saying that you don't have enough permissions to perform the operation (or something similar).

Charlotte

Thanks, can you tell me where to go to set these permissions? Thanks, Joe

There is nothing in delegates in Outlook or in Exchange. I Think it might be some security setting in Exchange but when I go into properties of that mailbox, it does have the read option checked for everyone but can't change it. I think it might be inheriting permissions from somewhere but not sure where? Joe

To give a user "Send As" permission on another user's mailbox in Exchange 2000 you need to do the following:

Start Active Directory Users and Computers
Go to the View menu and make sure that Advanced Features is selected
Double-click the mailbox that you want to give someone else "Send As" rights to
Click the Security tab.
Click Add, click the user that you want to give "Send As" rights to
Tick the Send As box under Allow in the Permissions area.
Click OK to close the dialog box.

Hope this makes sense!

Charlotte

Thanks a lot, hopefully that will do it. Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back