Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2000 filtering by catchall heading

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradg

Technical User
Jun 4, 2001
US
I have a catchall email with severall different names for different areas of my site. How do I filter these to seperate folders? Under "filtering" there are tabs for "messages" "more choices" and "advanced". I cannot find this option anywhere, but I have read that it is possible. Do I need additional/different software?

It just seems like this sort of function would make sense for email software. I get dozens of emails every day, and it takes forever to sort it into seperate *folders*, even though they are already sorted to separate *email* addresses</B>.

There must be a better way to do this! Anyone?

Hi Brad :

I do this by creating the folders I want and then I use the Rules option to indicate which folders I want the mail directed to when it arrives. This way it is auto-sorted as it arrives. I have about five folders attached to my Inbox and as the mail arrives the Rules govern where it goes. It's saved me heaps of time. If you set your Rules correctly (this can be a trick but it's worthwhile fiddling around with them) it works like a charm. There may be a cleverer way of sorting mail though.

Best regards,
Patricia Ansin

Thanks Patricia...

Sorry about the response lag... How would I format the rule? For instance to send email from emailA@whatever and emailB@whatever to folders for emailA and emailB...

How would you word the rule?Anyone?

Thanks a bunch,

Brad

Hi Brad :

This is how I do it :

1. Right click on your Inbox.

2. Click the New Folder option.

3. In the Name field enter the name of the folder e.g. MailA

4. Click OK. The folder will be placed as a sub-folder of the Inbox folder.

5. Click Inbox.

6. Click Organise.

7. Click Rules Wizard.

8. Click New.

9. Select the &quot;Check messages when they arrive&quot; option.

10. Click Next.

11. Chech the &quot;when received through the specific account&quot; checkbox.

12. In the Rule description window click the &quot;specified&quot; link.

13. In the Account field select the address you want to move mail for to the new folder eg Mail A.

14. Click OK.

15. Click Next.

16. Check the &quot;move it to the specified folder&quot; checkbox.

17. In the Rule description window click the &quot;specified&quot; link.

18. Select the folder you want mail received for this address transferred to after it arrives i.e. the new folder you've just created - Mail A.

19. Click Next and at the next window click next again.

20. In the &quot;Please specify name for this rule&quot; field enter the title you want to identify this rule in the Rules List.

21. Make sure the &quot;Turn on this rule&quot; checkbox is checked.

22. If you want to move mail for this address which is already in your Inbox, check the &quot;Run this rule now on messages already in Inbox&quot; checkbox.

23. Click Finish.

24. Click OK.

25. Repeat these steps for each e-mail address you want to organise mail for.

Good luck Brad. I'm monitoring five different e-mail addreses and this works really well for me.

Best regards,
Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back