Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2000 crashing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisabennett

IS-IT--Management
Jul 24, 2001
CA
Recently my MS Outlook 200 is crashing approximatly every 30 minuteds or sooner. I keep it open all the time, and even when not doing anything in Outlook, I get a messaege that says

The program outlook.exe has created errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. A log report is being crreated.

Where does that log get created and what is the problem , and how can i fix.
Hopefully an uninstall and reinstall will help it. Can this end up corrupting my .pst file.

Thanks... Lisa

I have tried a deteck and repair, but outlook is still crashing. Any other suggestions?

Do you have a pst or is your Outlook configured for offline use? If you have a pst I would double check the size of the file and possibly try running scanpst.exe on it. Also if you have offline use configured try deleting the .ost file. Also your archive file may be corrupted also. You can run scanpst on the archive.pst as well. Double check email delivery and make sure it is going to your profile and not a personal folder (pst). When delivery is set to a pst it causes tons of different problems. Let me know how it turns out. Good luck. -Brad :-D
A+, MCSE NT4, MCDBA SQL7

When you're having a bad day just remember it could be worse.....couldn't it?

If you have a .pst file under 2 gb in size you could try deleting the profile and recreating it in outlook.

A lot of assuming going on here. Are you using windows 2000? It sounds like it. Are you using an exchange server for email, corporate email? Or are you using the POP mail?
Are you using a virus software product? If so, is it McAfee? If so, what version, build, etc...?

In order to understand where we should be looking, it is important to understand where you are. I have a few users having this issue and may be able to help depending on your situation, ie...operating system, virus software, etc...

Yes, I am running windows 2000, SP3, I am using Norton 2002 for a virus software, My mail is corprate with Microsoft Office 2000. We get our mail from our (POP3)ISP provider.
I am using a .pst file.

I hope this helps & thanks to everyone!
Lisa

I believe it may be something corrupt in your windows 2000 profile. To validate this theory, does this happen if someone else is logged into the computer? If not, it's in your Windows profile, if it does happen, it's in your office installation. I am assuming you are using separate logins for each user of the computer. If each user has a separate login, they will each have their own profile in windows 2000. This profile stores a lot of information to customize windows for each user. I am pretty sure it won't happen when someone else is logged into the computer.

Your outlook profile, settings, and other personal information are stored in this Windows profile and sometimes becomes corrupt. An easy way to see is to delete the profile and recreate it. All personal setting, cookies, desktop wallpaper setting, screensaver, IE favorites will all be deleted with the profile so export your cookies and favorites before deleting your profile.

To delete the profile, do not delete the folder as this will cause issues, you must use the windows delete profile function. To do this, right click on 'My computer' and open system properties. Click on the 'user profile' tab, select your profile, and click on delete. Be sure you are not logged on as yourself while trying to delete your profile. Once deleted, log back on, start outlook and set it up as before.

This helped one of my users, the other will not let me delete her profile because she likes everything the way it is and doesn't want to set everything back up...Oh well!?!

Try the test, have someone login and test the performance of your computer then. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back