Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

outlook 2000 client issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoinvip

MIS
Nov 16, 2001
GB
Anyone got suggestions for this problem...

I have an exchange 2000 server running on windows 2000. We were running fine with about 15-20 users connecting via Outlook 2000.

We then had some problems and were advised to load service pack 2 for exchange and win2k. Since that time, the outlook clients slowed right down and keep presenting a popup box to enter user name, domain and password. No matter what combination I try I cannot authenticate to the server any more. It seems as though I've patched one bug only to get another!

The client workstations are running win98 and logging into a domain successfully. Network performance seems fine.

I have tried changing the authentication on the clients but this makes no difference.

If I run outlook on the server console I can connect as administrator but that's it.

I would REALLY appreciate any help that anyone can offer.

This is an issue with a single DC. Should happen every 7-8 hours. Add a second DC. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

So is this a "feature" of E2K then? What if we are unable to add a second DC?

No this is Windows 2000.

Keberos tickets are good for 7 hours in the default configuration. This means at the 7th hour our ticket isn't valid and we break all LDAP connections thus the error. Then we have to contact the only DC (Kerberos ticket center) for a new one. If there is another DC everyone is happy. I guess because the ticket to the other DC wouldn't have expired yet.

We would like you to have 2 DC's anyways. Dan

Why should we have to fork out for another license of Windows 2000 Server becuase Microsoft can't write their Service Packs properly? If none of us had installed Exchange Service Pack 2, we wouldn't have the LDAP errors in our logs. Perhaps if in the release notes of the Service Pack, this was listed under "Known Issues", we again may not have installed it.

Service Packs are supposed to fix problems, not create more. And when told to "Install another DC".... Thats just good old Microsoft stupidity. How about getting your software working before sending out dodgy patches, or is it all a plan to sell more licenses of Windows?

Don't install SP2 and don't have a backup DC. While your at it don't do backups. Don't get mad that you have no redundancy. If you want a single box install it. I have one box all by itself and it is SP2 and I have 2102's and never have a mailbox problem.

As stated the 7 hour for Kerberos tickets is a Windows 2000 thing not SP2. 60% of DSACCESS was changed in SP2. Basically they rewrote it all to make it better. If the 2102 is bothering you go back to SP1.

There are other 2102 threads please post in them as this one is getting too big. Dan

I am also recieving this error as well as a few others. I didn't start recieving this errors until after I made changes to my DC's and DNS records, as well as I made some changes /w secedit. To my knowledge, I have changed everything back to normal, but now my Exchange System Agent won't start up at all. Here's what I'm getting:

Process MAD.EXE (PID=2664). All Domain Controller Servers in use are not responding:
husd-dc1.husd.dst
hs-fs1.husd.dst

then:

MSExchangeMU, General, 1002:
Metabase Update agent failed to start. Error code is 80040a01.

then:

MSExchangeSA, General, 9004:

The Metabase Update service failed to start, error '80040a01'.

then:

MSExchangeSA, General, 1005

Unexpected error An unknown error has occurred. ID no: 80040a01 Microsoft Exchange System Attendant occurred.

It sounded like my DNS records were just screwed up, so I've checked those a million times and they're correct, and I can ping by name after a fresh reboot to husd-dc1, and hs-fs1, as well as husd-dc1.husd.dst, and hs-fs1.husd.dst.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

I am getting the same "Process MAD.EXE (PID=2280). All Domain Controller Servers in use are not responding:" message. It does seem to follow the 7hr timeout, although mine are spread out in a 10hr timeframe plus or minus 20 minutes. But, sometimes it is 6 minutes apart. In each scenario, minus the times when it is 6 minutes apart, it is always followed by a "The MAD Monitoring thread is initialized" message. I have a SBS 2000 server with 25 users and I am using the POP3 connecter to retrieve the email from the ISP. I used the diag utility to log the entries and the SBS server does retrieve the messages but they do not appear in the inbox of the intended user. I applied the Post SP2 patch and that seemed to fix it temporarily. If I instead use Outlook 2000 client to retrieve the email from the ISP, then it works. Is there a way to trace messages retrieved from a POP3 server so I can discover where the messages are disappearing to?

There has been probloems with win98 connecting to w2k server through tcp/ip so the fix to this is connecting with ipx protocol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back