Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

outlook 2000 client issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoinvip

MIS
Nov 16, 2001
GB
Anyone got suggestions for this problem...

I have an exchange 2000 server running on windows 2000. We were running fine with about 15-20 users connecting via Outlook 2000.

We then had some problems and were advised to load service pack 2 for exchange and win2k. Since that time, the outlook clients slowed right down and keep presenting a popup box to enter user name, domain and password. No matter what combination I try I cannot authenticate to the server any more. It seems as though I've patched one bug only to get another!

The client workstations are running win98 and logging into a domain successfully. Network performance seems fine.

I have tried changing the authentication on the clients but this makes no difference.

If I run outlook on the server console I can connect as administrator but that's it.

I would REALLY appreciate any help that anyone can offer.

What Winodws SP is your DC running? I've read something that says that you should upgrade you DCs before upgrading your Exchange server.

did you install OWA ? if so, does this still work ?
as a stop-gap, try installing it...

still thinking about this.... Jon. :)
----------------------------------------
To be is to do (Sartre)
To do is to be (Casmus)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
----------------------------------------

We're running SP2 on the DC. It's the same server that runs exchange as well.

We did the win2k sp2 upgrade followed by the e2k sp2.

I think your problem is not related to the SP2 (W2K or Exchange).
It looks like you put two services (Microsoft Exchange Server & Internet E-mail) into your Outlook 2000.
Then you will see a pop up screen asking you the user name, domain & password all the time.
We had the same problem before. Finally I found the answer from Microsoft knowledge base (I can't remember the link).
They said it was by design. If you use Exchange Server, you should not put the Internet E-mail (POP3) in there.
So, just remove the Internet E-mail from the menu Tools - Services in Outlook 2000 is ok.
If your users want to set up the POP3 account in your office, use other e-mail software (like Outlook Express) or create another profile in Outlook 2000 only for Internet E-mail services.
Hope this can help.

Nope, no internet email in use on the clients. Our mail server connects to our ISP and distributes it internally.

Like I said, everything WAS working before SP2.

There are several MS KB notes referring to problems with user credentials within E2K/O2K environments but they all seem to assume the use of POP3 internet mail clients which is not happening with us....

I'm very confused by this, because it was a simple enough configuration which now has just stopped for no obvious reason.

I've been told by someone that this could be a bug in SP2....

Has anyone else experienced this?

Also, I cannot find a documented problem on the MS KB. Is it possible to remove SP2 and regress to SP1 to see if the problem goes away?

This is causing a lot of upset in the office and I'd REALLY like to get it fixed!!

This is not a bug in SP2 or I would still be at work taking calls. Basically it sounds as if your clients don't have access to the mailboxes. OWA is on by default on E2K.

Goto and see if that works. If not you have some Active Directory problem. Anything in the logs? Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Dan,

The OWA stuff didn't work. By doing some permissions testing, I added a user into Domain Admins and I can access the mailbox. However, this runs VERY slowly.

This worked perfectly well before I put SP2 on the server and the users did not need to have domain admin rights.

Can you suggest anything I can do to rectify this please? The boss has instructed me to put everyone in the domain admins group until we get this fixed and I'm (understandably!) concerned about doing this...

Sounds like permissions have been modified. There is no quick fix without doing testing. Any events I can look them up. Also run netdiag and dcdiag from the Exchange Server. Dan

Dan,

I've checked the application log and found the following entry for Exchange:

"Process MAD.EXE (PID=2136). All domain Controller Servers in use are not responding"
Event ID: 2102
Category: Topology
Source: MSExchangeDSAccess

I assume this is something to do with Active Directory but I don't know why it's failing. Also, I don't seem to have any dcdiag or netdiag utils - where do I find them please?

Thanks,

Peter

Support Tools on Windows 2000 Server CD

Probably DNS. Dan

I think I might try uninstalling the exchange service from the users outlook and then reconnecting and readding to your exchange server. I get this type of message, but it only pertains (in my situation) when users from a different domain are trying to use my exchange server rather than say, internet e-mail.

Please try to fix the problem rather than tearing down half way and trying to build back. Dan

In response to the MAD.EXE error below:

"Process MAD.EXE (PID=2136). All domain Controller Servers in use are not responding"

They have a post SP2 patch. I had the same MAD error and this fixed it. (It has been 3 days and counting)

This is the Page.

default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q313096

This is the download

]

How did the OWA access turn out?

The URL for the Post SP2 Patch which supposedly fixes the MAD.EXE error listed above does not contain any information regarding the errors that get logged in the event viewer. I am getting the same errors. Does this patch fix this issue but MS didn't list it?

I am having a similar problem after installing Exchange SP2. OWA is very slow, and w2k users inside the domain are prompted over and over for login information. Win98 users can use OWA fine. works for everyone inside. does not. I beleive this is related to DNS in my case - something about connecting locally on private IP rather than coming in from the outside that seems to make the difference. I must have an internal DNS entry, alias. or reverse lookup that's creating a problem with OWA.

What confuses me is I've made no DNS changes. All I did was install Exchange SP2 (which I am starting to regret) Darwin
Philadelphia PA
"I'm not paranoid, who told you that!"

I've been having the same problem as Peter ever since E2K SP2 was installed, e.g.:

Process MAD.EXE (PID=2136). All domain Controller Servers in use are not responding"

Recently, users on the local LAN have complained about slow response times when using Outlook, and remote users are having connections dropped when they use IMAP or POP3. Oddly, OWA works fine without any disconnect problems.

The Event Log shows the ID 2102 error every few hours, but on a very random schedule. I'll apply the patch referred to in MSKB Article Q316056 and report back if it fixes the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back