Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2000 blocks .exe attachments, a fix for this? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LastWords

IS-IT--Management
Oct 15, 2001
GB
Hello,

A user on my network is having a problem receiving level 1 (.exe, etc) attachments. Outlook says, in the help files, that this cannot be changed. Is there a way around this? Any suggestions much appreciated.

Tom
Network Admin.

You can zip your files first then Outlook will pass them...WinZip(free) has a command line utility also (free) that will allow you to use VBA to automate the zip process. but it's quick and easy to use with out command line too.

Yeah I know that. But people still send us .exe attachments regardless of what ive told them (i.e. zip it 1st), so i was just wondering if there was a better way around it.

thanks thu.
:)

I believe Outlook 2000 Service Release SR-1 doesn't have this problem. SR-2 implemented this intentionally for virus suppression.

I believe you can't "undo" SR-2 but you could remove outlook and reload with SR-1.

Thanks for all your help. I will try the new insecure patch!

Just to let u know. The patch worked on one of our 98' machines but didn't work on 2000'.

More feedback - I got the patch to work on a Windows 2000 / Office 2000 machine. Thanks for the patch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back