Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

outlook 2000 attachments not sending

Status
Not open for further replies.

STANSERV

IS-IT--Management
Oct 2, 2002
AU
Somebody please help,

I have a customer with a small network sharing internet via a acer 101/201 modem router.

The problem is this I can send a text email no problems, as soon as I attach a file no matter how big/small, the connection with the smtp server times out. Apart from the usual Nat on the router there is nothing else locking ports down. It connects with the server ok but will not send the email with attachment. Have tried clean install on one win98 pc and still not working. Have also tried recreating profiles and new .pst files.

It is Outlook 2000 Sr-1 from Office 2000 installed on 3x win98 and 1x XP Pro. All same problem.

Have not done any upgrading or patches to Outlook as i have read some posts on the forum here in regards to reduced functionality of attachments.

Do you have any Firewall and/or AV installed? If so they might have been set to stop any attachments to be sent out.

Try editing the LMHOSTS file to hardcode the IP address of your Exchange server. I tried this on an Outlook 2000 setup that was having problems sending attachments over a VPN. After editing the LMHOSTS file, attachements just zip right through now.

Thanks For the replies guys, I have solved the problem it appeared to be the router as when I installed a netocomm smart access it started to push thru the emails again.

Due to next to no diagnostics on the Acer router i can only come to this conclusion.

Jimbob i wasnt running an exchange server just a webramp device for the pcs.

I found this to be a problem after the customer changed accounts with their service provider. The service provider had done a couple of upgrades to their servers and configuration.
The acer didnt have the necessary configuration options to adjust mtu, etc.

ONce a gain thanks for the help anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back