Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2000 & Grissoft AntiVirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

semby

Vendor
Oct 8, 2002
CA
Hello:

Was wondering if anyone could help me. I recently installed Grisoft's anti-virus program on my computer. Now every time I send email to someone not in my domain, it gets bounced back to me as undeliverable.

I can still receive email from anyone. I tried checking my grisoft avg settings and my outlook settings, but cannot find anything that should be stopping my mail from getting through.

Thanks, in advance!

Chuck

If you uninstall the virus software does it work or do you have the same problem? joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

If I uninstall the antivirus software I'm back to normal, and can send emails to any address.

That is really weird, I am using AVG on several PC and never had that problem. It is weird because AVG does not modify your emails in anyway (except the footer if you leave the option on for Certify Outgoing mail). [sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, excpect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC! - Marc
[/sub]

unless its the funky corporate firewall i'm sandbagged behind. Its wierd though, I can receive from anyone, but only send to my coworkers (a different company), but I cannot even email the corporate people I report to.

nobody here really knows anything about the firewall, and I'm in the IT dept.

If you're in the IT dept. , someone must know or have a contact about who, what and how the firewall was installed?
A firewall is very nice, but it is a disaster if no-one know what it does and how to change it! [sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, excpect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC! - Marc
[/sub]

Hi Semby:

Couple of things you may want to try:
In the options portion of AVG there's a checkmark box to use outlook express 5 plug ins
Check that and see if it helps.

Your firewall issue doesn't seem to be an issue as you say that the mail is getting kicked back to you. if that's the case then your mail is "getting out to them"

Could you possibly post what the kick back message is? it is usually along the lines of:
The mail you sent is undeliverable because....yada yada yada..this could tell you if it's a firewall issue on the recipients side.

Problems that could be encountered are
Their virus software detects AVG as a virus which is what it sounds like as you say you can send mail when you uninstall AVG
Try to find out what port your mail sends out of thru your firewall, and see if the recipient allows mail IN.

I'm sure that you have access to another computer, maybe one that's not onthe same domain as you're? or one that's outside the firewall...why not install AVG on that one and see if you get the same problem, if you do? then everything points to your firewall, if you don't? then it's most likely the recipients' side of things.

Let us know how it goes eh?, and don't forget to post that kick back message please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back