Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2000 Address Conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortolaChris

Technical User
Jan 13, 2002
GB
When I am attempting to send an email and enter the name of the person Outlook doesn't automatically fill in the email address because it is attempting to enter both the email address and the fax number?!?
Does anyone know what is going on?
Thanks
Chris

Actually, this sounds like normal behavior. Let's say you have 2 different contacts with then first name of 'Jim'. Both have e-mail addresses and fax numbers. In the 'To' line your just type Jim. When you hit send, you will be prompted that there are several entries for Jim and you need to pick from Jim1 (email), Jim1 (fax), Jim2 (email), or Jim2 fax. This is normal because Outlook in workgroup mode can also be used to send a fax.

Thanks for advice - is there a way of turning off workgroup mode? I don't plan on sendng any emails this way.
Thanks again
Chris

Sorry - should have checked my message properly before sending - I mean't to say that I didn't intend faxing people with Outlook.

For Internet Only mode, go to Tools, Options, Mail Services tab, Reconfigure Mail Support button. The only other way to avoid the fax option is to remove the fax numbers from your contacts.

I'm using Corporate or Workgroup Setting - have you got any advice.
As always thanks for all the help you can offer.
Chris

Is there a particular reason you're using Corporate mode? What other services are you using besides internet e-mail?

Hi Smah
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner - the reason I'm using Corporate is that is the way our MIS department have set it up. We're networked and I'm not comfortable changing too many of their settings.
Thanks again
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back