Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 2000 abnormal program termination

Status
Not open for further replies.

HunterX

IS-IT--Management
Dec 3, 2003
US
Interesting problem that I can't find any support for on numerous newgroups and forums. When im in outlook and hit reply, reply all, forward, new or when i double click on a new email to open it, I receive this error

Runtime Error!
Program:C:\proga~1\micros~2\office\outlook.exe

abnormal program termination

The program then proceeds to shut itself down. A lot of the posts I have read suggest that there are add-ins that are causing conflicts and I should remove them. This is pretty much a default installation with only microsofts add-ins installed. I tried it anyway and it didnt change the situation. I thought maybe my inbox was corrupt or having problems on the exchange server, but I can open everything fine through OWA, which tells me my account and .pst files are ok. Another thing I have already tried was uninstalling and reinstalling. Going through add/remove programs to uninstall it, then I used msizap.exe <with the GUID here> to make sure all registry links to the program have been removed. I also checked the location in the registry where most programs GUIDs live to make sure Office wasnt installed under a different GUID then the default. Then went into windows explorer and removed all the directories then rebooted. Some of these steps are above and beyond the normal uninstall, but I wanted to make sure it was removed fully. The install of the Office 2000 pro package is done across the network. Its part of a group policy on a w2k server, where all I do is add the computer I want to install office on to the OU that contains this policy. The remote software installation package has been put on the server via a admin install command line and all the current service packs for Office 2000 pro have been applied to the deployment package on the server. This method has worked for all other computers in my company flawlessly this far. Im 99% sure that the remote installation works fine and the problem is with my local computer, but I had to mention it to make sure anyone reading this knows my situation start to finish. Please someone help me with this one, im stuck and cant move further with it yet. Ive been checking here, google and yahoo groups, microsoft newsgroups, technet, microsofts knowledge base and other third party places to no avail.

This error has popped up in several forums and there has never been a uniformed solution for the issue.

My first guess would be to try replacing your frmcache.dat file with a fresh copy from another system. I am guessing that Outlook is having a problem with the standard forms.

You can also try opening Outlook using the /safe switch to see if the error still happens when in this mode.

Good luck.

cheers

joegz
&quot;Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is.&quot;

joegz thanks for the reply. I think you are right about the frmcache.dat file. Although I upgraded outlook 2000 to 2002 and still had the problem, then went from 2002 to 2003 and it was fixed so i can't test out fixes anymore cause i inadvertantly fixed my own problem. I tried the safe mode switch and outlook would load just fine, i could even open the forms that were not opening before. Once i went back to normal mode, everything would fail again. its kind of a shame that the problem is fixed, cause i was never able to find out what caused it. Your advice &quot;sometimes you just need to find out what its not first to figure out what it is&quot; .. im a firm believer in that... very helpful in deducing problems. Thanks again for your help

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back