Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outlook 200 password settings not being retained 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

snella

Technical User
Oct 4, 2002
GB
Help!

We have a user whose Outlook password is not being retained, when she tries to log in she is advised that she is using the wrong password but when she goes to the change password option she can enter the old password and then pick a new one which is accepted, then same thing happens again after a short time. Any Ideas she is using a Windows 2000 PC and loggin onto the Network using Novell 4.3

Is there an Exchange Server and/or Domain Server in the game?
It could be the password expires on one server and not on the other, and if they are not synchronized, then this will happen. The solution is out there. [morning]

Check to see if this Key exist in your system registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Network\DisablePwdCaching

If it exists, either delete it or set the value to 0 (zero).
This is the registry key to disable password caching. If set to 1 (true), then your system will not retain your password settings.

Hope this helps

Marc and Beerhunter,

Neither of those works. That registry key does not exist on my W2k/Oxp setup. I'm also in a Netware 5.1 environment with roaming profiles, and only one mail system to worry about.
It seems SID dependant. I Ghost and GhostWalk each deployed workstation and change both the system name and SID. The Protected Storage System Provider key isn't the fix because it cannot be deleted or changed, even as the Administrator of the local machine.

Can you think of anything else?

Thanks!

Joe

Try renaming the .PWL file for this user ID, and then reboot the computer. The .PWL files should be in the WINNT directory (I think).

When this user ID logs in again, Windows should create a new password (.PWL) file. This should allow Outlook to retain its password settings.

Thanks... I'll give it a shot. I wasn't aware there was a .PWL in W2k also.

Leexlx,

I tried that already also. On my workstations, the users authenticate through Novell and ZENworks for their user policies, etc. They are made POWER USERS. If I log onto the machine as the administrator (locally), all I get is the administrators key here: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider. It ends there with a SID which does me no good because the admin doesn't have an Outlook profile.

If I log on locally (bypassing the Netware logon) as one of the users that shares the machine, they are not allowed to run regedit or regedt32, even if I temporarily make them administrators of the local machine. Something from Novell or ZEN is still blocking them from editing the registry even though they did not authenticate through Novell. So I can't even GET to that key.
That's where I left it last week. I'll play with it some more tomorrow and see what i can come up with.

Thanks for the reply!

Joe

Use the RunAs option ? If the solution is out there, let us know it was helpful, so others can benefit from it as well..

Hey all... me again! Still banging my head against the monitor.

After I pulled my head out of my butt, I ran REGEDT32 as one of the workstations users that has already had OutlookXP configured and working.
I followed the instructions to make the changes to the Protected Storage System Provider key but not without problems. I had to add the user that I was logged onto the machine as. The Security only shows Administrator. Twice.

After that and when selecting the checkbox for "Reset Permissions on all child objects and enable propagation of inheritable permissions." and apply it, I get the warning message and click OK, but the checkbox DOES NOT stay checked. I figured OK, press on. Then I noticed a whole group of keys had been added under the Protected Storage System Provider key. Basically they were named DATA and DATA2. Probably because I followed the process a few times and it kept adding them. I deleted the subkey and rebooted. Nothing changed. It still does not retain the users password in Outlook and now there is NOTHING under the Protected Storage System Provider key in the registery at all.

So all I accomplished was to delete a key and no changes took place. Even if I delete the users NTUSER.DAT and LOG files on both the local machine and their network home directory (remember they use roaming profiles), and then completely reconfigure the workstation for the user, it still will not retain their OutlookXP password.

I'm beginning to think I should totally wipe out the WindowsNT 5.0 Workstation Profile folder from their network directory AND the local machine and start again.

I dunno....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back