Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outllook Express Config Multiple Users Same PC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpbgolf

Technical User
Dec 28, 2001
US
Hi,

I am trying to configure Outlook Express version 5 to recognize different email addresses to reflect the user logged in on the same shared PC. I have set "Users can customize ...." in Control Panel, Passwords, User Profiles. I did that step before configuring Outlook Express settings in the individual profiles. I just don't know how to customize individual folders for "Inbox, Sent, Outbox" etc. that Outlook Express creates. The problem is when any email is received, it all goes into the same default folders that have been on the PC. I know I could filter email to go to certain email folders, but all users can see each others mail folders. Is there a way to set up unique folders for each user?

Thanks in advance!

I would setup a separate account (TOOLS - ACCOUNT - EMAIL)in OE for each mail user and then lock each account down with it's own password. That way the user selects what mailbox they should be logging into and won't see each others e-mail. joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

I've done that. Each account refers to only that users email cofiguration settings. I've used Outlook Express for awhile with only one user before making these changes. I want to avoid reinstalling Outlook Express and starting from scratch, which would probably work. If I were to try that, how would I save then import my old folders and files back to my section?

Thanks!

Okay Meintsi, if I reinstall Outlook Express should this be done over the existing install and saved folders and messages? -Or- Should I save the saved folders (those files with *.dbx file extensions) then restore them after reinstall? Please elaborate.

Is this Win98?
Also install OE6.

I just did a new install over the top for my father-in-law last night and none of the existing data was lost. If the data is extremely important, a backup copy would be prudent if something goes wrong.(who knows)

The identities feature of OE by default generates seperate folders for each user for each login identity. If an over-the-top installation does not change this there must be a registry edit or profile setting causing it.

If the over-the-top install doesn't correct the problem, save the .dbx folders and .pab address book files, uninstall OE5, and try a clean install.

btw...The first time OE runs on each login, you be prompted to create your user account. Maybe create a new profile and see if this is the case. (If it doesn't it is definitely a registry edit or profile setting causing this to happen.

Good Luck and let me know........... *Remember.......
If you don't use your head,
your going to have to use your feet

Hi there,

I can't seem to open my Outlook express anymore. Every time I click on it I get a Msimn error message:

MSIMN caused an invalid page fault in
module MSOE.DLL at 0167:007c6544.

Is there any way to rectify this?

Hey....just a suggestion...what you really needed to do in Outlook Express to have multiple users was to create multiple identities....not multiple settings under mail accounts....

here is an awesome document telling you how to create, manage, and use them

as for the error..i'm sorry but i don't know..

*ducks and hides* "don't shoot me i'm only the messenger!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back