Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

outgoing mail outlook 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

68guns

MIS
Oct 31, 2002
GB
i am having problems sending mail through the mail.btinternet.com smtp allways says it can not not connect to the server incoming mail is ok can anybody help

Hi,

What e-mail software are you using? How do you connect to the internet? If you provide some more information about your setup and also any specific error messages that you may be getting I am sure that someone will be able to help you.

J.

My apologies. The software is right there in the subject of the post! Is there a specific message and/or error code that you are getting with the send/receive though?

his is the message i always get
task 'mail.btinternet.com
sending reported error (0x80042109 outlook is unable to connect to your
outgoing smtp e-mail server. if you continue to receive this message
contact your server administrator or internet sevice provider

Presumably mail.btinternet.com is the address that BT gave you as the SMTP server? You might want to try sending via mail.btclick.com or mail.btconnect.com or smtp.btconnect.com or smtp.btinternet.com, BT run quite alot of SMTP servers and you may have better luck with another server.

The fact that it reports that you cannot even connect to it suggests a communication issue. Do you have a firewall between you and the Internet? If so, is it configured to allow a outbound connection to this server on Port 25?

You might also want to rule out the software as the issue rather than the connection by TELNETing to the server. TO do this, just go to Start / Run and type TELNET mail.btinternet.com 25 and hit OK. You should get a response on screen that says "220 smtp814.mail.ukl.yahoo.com ESMTP". If you get this, then you have contacted the server and the issue is with Outlook rather than the connection / other factors. If you do not get this, then Outlook is not the issue.

Hope this helps to narrow down the issue.

J.

thanks again for your help i have tried the telnet and it connected ok and also tried using a totally different email account and the same thing happens, i do have a firewall the new service pack 2 one i have switched it off and still have the same problem i have also found a error in my event log not sure if this could be thr reason TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attemps

Thanks

I had the same problem with one of my emails account when using outlook2003. (What I found was one box not ticked)

Try Checking

Tools:Email Accounts
View or change Existing Email accounts
Highlight your BT Internet account and hit Change
Click the More Settings... Button
Go to outgoing Server Tab
Make sure 'My outgoing Server (SMTP) Requires authentication' is ticked.

I think with older versions of office this was ticked by default but this did not appear to be the case on my machine.

Hopefully now when you send and receive it will let you send.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back