Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outgoing Mail not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

murrman

MIS
May 26, 2003
US
Help...

Hi all .. I am very new to Exchange Server 5.5 and am not sure if what I am trying to do is even possible???

I have a Win 2K advanced server, exchange 5.5 handling all internal email. Working fine. I have just installed High Speed internet through Bell Business High speed, with a dsl router to the internet. All users have access to the internet fine.

I would like to have all users (all 5 of them) to be able to send email outside our organization. I do not want anyone to be able to email into our organization. Can this be done with what I have ???

I have configured our server with the appropriate ip address supplied to me from bell. I mean the DNS addresses. I have installed IMS forwarding all outgoing email to the smtp address bell supplied to me as well. I have also added the 5 users's i/p address to the routing section of exchange to allow forwarding outside the domain.

I have no MX records not even sure what they are or if I need them or not.

Can someone tell me If i can do this??? Will it work??? And what am I missing????

you didn't even need to do all that. Without an MX record and registered domain name, no one will be able to send mail to you, so don't worry about that. As for outgoing, as long as you set up the IMC with your internal domain name and allow it to use DNS (assuming your internal DNS and ISP's structure are sound), mail will flow outside.

Thank brontosaurus

I have doule checked this and have in my ims forwarding to dns. I guess this means that I need to put something in my dns????

R u running proxy server or ISA server on the windows 2000

Is Exchange 5.5 on the windows 2000 advanced server or on another server

actually if you are using Outlook 2002, (since they have some issue with both internal and external email protocol running the same time in the previous versions)

you can set each people up with Internet mail service in each of the 5 users outlook profile (not practical if you are doing more than 20-30)

using the smtp (outgoing server) address from your ISP, you will be able to send out emails, that way you won't have to mess with Exchange server

by the way, are you one of those SPAM er which send people emails without taking people's reply ??? hope you are not one of those people

J

you need to populate your exchange server's NIC properties with the IP address(es) of your internal DNS server, which should in turn be forwarding out to your ISP for internet name resolution.

Thanks for the help... I really hope I can get this working.. I have been playing with it for over a week ... have started looking for a rope to hang myself

to answer allthe questions:

1) No proxy server or ISA
Yes the Exchange 5.5 server is the 200 advaced server only hosting the mail system nothing else

2) Outlook - I can get the mail going out that way .. I am demonstrating equipment that need to communicat with exchange. The internet mail from outlook woks fine. thanks

3) I have populated my servers nic card with the dns supplied to me from bell. If I change that to my dns address will i have to enter someting into the dns for the isp ???

If you only have 5 user the most simple way to do it is to setup a rule wizard on each user that automatically deletes any Internet e-mail that they receive. They will never see it. It's not fancy but it works.

Aye if you do not have an internal DNS server an external one is fine, your ISP's for example are perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back