Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outgoing Caller ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

smaslin

MIS
Apr 1, 2004
US
Is there any way to have the Outgoing Caller ID show up differently based on extension calling from?

The company I work for is a Township, but the phone system itself is not seperate, we share it. The caller ID is currently the number of the township, regardless of which extension it comes from.

I need the police department phones to show a different Caller ID than the township side... Can this be done?

If you have ISDN service, then you might be able to program the phone system to send different ANIs based on which extension initiated the call, but I would still run that past the service provider to get their input.

You won't be able to do it with regular POTs lines and the only way to do it with a T1 with in band signaling ports would be to designate specific phones to specific channels on the T1 and assign a specific ANI to each channel.

Actually, I think what DEXMAN is saying is:

You can do it with PRI Service.

Do you have PRI service?

That feature of the Legend/Magix allows you to send the complete D-I-D of the extension.

I do have a PRI for the outgoing and inbound calls.

I don't want the extensions themselves to be the ANI, I just want this:

Extensions 2200-2299, ANI: xxx-xxx-3535

Extensions 2700-2799, ANI: xxx-xxx-6530

So from what I'm reading, if I assign the 2200-2299 extensions to certain channels, and 2700-2799 extensions to the other channels, I can assign the ANI based on channel? Does this affect incoming calls at all?

Merlinman summarized my ramble quite nicely. As a C.O. tech, I refer to PRI as ISDN (6 in one hand, 1/2 dozen in the other). [wink]

Yes, you can select the outgoing caller id for each and every line in your PRI Group.

I was thinking you wanted to send a Caller ID that would get the caller the D-I-D of the individual extension.

To do what you want you will have to put the lines with one Caller ID in one pool and the other Caller ID lines would have to go into another pool.

And of course, you would have to allocate those pools to each separate group of extensions that you want to be identified by which ever Caller ID.

I would have to know how you are receiving incoming calls now to know if this would change anything. The Caller ID wouldn't affect it, but re-arranging lines into pools might.

Merlinman,

Which manual is that documented in?

I don't remember reading that sort of arrangement in the Feature Reference for the "number to send" when I was setting up PRI service. What is there, is very limited if you have broken DID number blocks.

Is this an undocumented PRI feature?

....JIM....

Jim - I can not remember where I learned this.

As you said, the Documentation just doesn't say much.

So I guess you are right, it is rather undocumented.

If you are going to set it up to send the individual D-I-D, you have to do it a special way.

Let's say your D-I-D is 303-555-1234, and that's what you want folks you call to see when you call them.

Assuming you are at extension 234, and your D-I-D range is 555-1200 to 1299, then you would choose; "BASE NUMBER with Ext." and then put in 303-555-1200 as your "BASE NUMBER".

And, the few times I have done this, MAGIC happens and the called party sees 303-555-1234.

If you want to send a "STATIC" number for all calls on a particular line you would choose; "Line Telephone Number" and then put in what ever number you wanted. (Usually the MAIN NUMBER)

You may want to double check if this does anything to the 911 service.

Also, there was a time that the only Caller ID sent was provided by the service provider, but it now seems that we almost always have to provide the Caller ID number.

Merlinman,

Just to clarify, I do understand the limitations for the BASE number-to-send. It is VERY limited. Only one range of numbers and everything has to have a valid DID number.

Now, from the post above, if I set up two Pools, say 70 and 890, then I put 12 B channels in 70 and 11 B channels in 890, populate the "PhoneNumber" field with the number I want to show as CID for each of the respective Pools.

So this is done, I place a call from Pool 70 and the "PhoneNumber" programmed for those B channels in 70 shows as the CID to the called party. Then I place a call using Pool 890 and it would have its own CID for the channels in it.

Is that how this works?

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back