Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outgoing Caller ID questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Q6600

IS-IT--Management
Jun 13, 2008
US
I do some basic stuff in our CS1000 (setup TNs, DNs, adds moves changes etc) I would like to learn to manage our outgoing caller ID if its not too complicated.

Does anyone know of documentation that covers this in an easy to read/follow context?

The situation: (I would be greatful for suggestions etc)
We have 2x PRIs. Inbound caller ID works great. As our setup is now, we have 9999999 set as our outgoing caller ID for all calls. This frustrates both the incoming and outgoing sides at times, and some systems even block our calls, not liking the caller ID.

Im told that the reason we have it set like this is:
[ul]
[li]Many of our users do NOT want their caller ID to be displayed.[/li]
[li]Blocking caller ID all together would result in even more outgoing blocked than having 9999999.[/li]
[li]At one point we tried using the main number for all DN's - it wrecked havoc for our attendants. Employees would leave messages for customers, customers would call the number back (main) without listening to VM, talk to the attendant saying "you called me" and the attendant would not know how to route the call, and it = a frustrated customer. Having 999999 generally forces the customer to listen to a vm if they do not take the call. (which either informs the customer of what DID to call back or what DN to be transferred to, thus not creating the same havoc for the attendants and themselves.[/li]
[li]Many of our internal DN's do not have DID's.[/li]
[/ul]

What is general practice to handle this type of situation?

Would there be a way for me to create groups of DN's where one group dynamically gets a caller ID of their DID where another group(s) are assigned statically?
Is there a way to setup a function where employees can enable or disable caller ID on their own? (ie how on some mobile carriers you can do *67 / *82 etc)

Thank you kindly for any feedback.

Thank you GHTROUT. That helped quite a bit. Id like to donate to your site but the link does not appear to be working.

Glad that worked.

Nice of you to offer. I did fix the link - might need to refresh when you arrive at my site.

~~
Gene at GHTROUT.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back