Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outgoing Caller ID question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogle

IS-IT--Management
Mar 13, 2006
US
Hi... question from a newbie...

I have a shortcode that shows the outgoing caller ID as our company's main number:

Shortcode: [9]1N;
Telephone: Ns1xxxxxxxxxx
Line: 1(our PRI)
Feature: Dial3k1

I called my carrier (AT&T) to have them change the outgoing caller ID to read 'Travel Dept', which they've completed.

My question is, what do I put in my shortcode to reflect this change? Seems like everything I try either shows the main number, the user's extension, or the user's DID number.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!!

you can only send the number, not the name, thats for the phone company to send. You might try witholding caller ID with a W in that shortcode to see if not having a number allows the phone company to send the name.

True... which is why I put the short code for the main number in place, while AT&T programmed the text.

My question is, now that AT&T has finished that, how do I make the text appear, instead of my main number? What do I need to put into the short code...?

Thanks!

my thought on withholding your caller ID # was maybe it is over-riding the name they are providing. So if you send a number, then they can't send the name, try a W and see if that helps, if not you might contact AT&T again or maybe someone else here has another suggestion

Yes, that's what I was thinking, too...

I've tried (among others):
.SI
.SIW
N
NW
W

None work... I have a call into AT&T to try to figure it out...

thanks again.

Try using the following in your tn field
1Nsi703766E
This will send 1 and the telephone number then for caller ID it will send the NPANXX (first six numbers) and then will append the extension to it. Some times you must call the PRI provider and tell them that you want to send the caller id.

Hi... thanks for the info.

This did exactly what you said it would do. Unfortunately, it's not really what I'm looking for.

I'm trying to make the caller ID read 'Travel Dept', which has been programmed by AT&T.

Do you want to send the name Travel Dept to AT&T?

I'm in the EU and we cannot send names with PRI calls but maybe you can.

make the TN field like this : ."Travel Dept"
then the name will be send with the PRI calls

Hi,

No, we can't send alpha characters to the caller ID... only numbers. Alpha chars have to be programmed by the carrier.

thx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back