Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outgoing Caller ID Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlucien

Technical User
Jan 30, 2007
US
My company has Deltacom as our phone service provider. We recently switched to a PRI when we bought a new phone system,an Avaya IP Office. At the switchover, we had a number of problems with outgoing caller ID that we thought we had eventually resolved. We wanted all outgoing calls to show our main number and our main company name. That seemed to be working until recently. Now, the main phone number is showing up on all out going calls, but some calls are showing up with an old company name that we have not used in years. It seems to be showing up on home phones that have Cox Communications as the service provider. The correct company name appears, as far as I can tell, on other service providers. Does that make sense ? Is it possible that Cox could somehow be changing the name in the outgoing caller ID when it arrives at a home phone ?

This is all new to me. Sorry if it has been addressed before.

Are your phone numbers ported from an ILEC to a CLEC?

The name associated with the phone number is stored in the LIDB (Line Information DataBase). LNP translations are stored in the NPAC. There are several NPACs throughout the country. There is the possibility that one of them has not been updated for some reason.

You may need to escalate a trouble report with Deltacom and Cox so they can isolate the errant data source and correct it.

Hope this helps!

....JIM....

Amen.

The "name" is a lookup function, based on the number. You did a good job determining that this was only Cox customers.

Cox has a good reputations for support - I hope that bodes well.

Good luck.

Thanks for the quick replies. ILEC, CLEC, LIDB, NPAC...its all new to me. Once you get past the phone I'm generally lost. I am contacting Cox and Deltacom and pointing them in the direction of the NPAC. I should have looked for direction in here earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back