Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outer Joins with Oracle ODBC or Oracle client to multiple charsets

Status
Not open for further replies.

endeavour

MIS
Mar 29, 2001
US
This is really two issues I am facing trying to solve the same problem. I have a database in Oracle 8.0.6 which uses a different character set to our normal corporate standard (including the repository). The client NLS_LANG settings are all set to the corp std and I have v8.1.7 middleware. When I try to create a connection using the Oracle Client db engine I get a message "ORA-03106 fatal two-task communication protocol error". This seems directly related to the differenct charset as we have working db's on the same server.

I thought I would try a different tack and set up a link via ODBC. The MS Oracle ODBC gives the same error but the Oracle ODBC connects OK. However, the universe contains some outer joins and these just disappear when I change the connection. I assume this is due to restriction on Generic ODBC. I have tried fiddling with the SBO files without making much difference even though I have proved the Oracle ODBC will use outer joins in the Oracle ODBC test panel.

So these are the questions I am left with:

1/ Anyone have any helpful information on solving the mismatching charsets issue?

2/ Should the Oracle ODBC connection appear in the drop down list on the connections screen (it doesn't on mine :-() or do you have to select Generic?

3/ Anyone modified their ODBC.SBO, ORACLE.SBO, registry etc to support outer joins?

you are having problems aren't you. i can't help with your connection error however i can shed some light on your odbc questions.

I believe that generic obdc is the only drop down you will get.

The file you want to modify is the .prm file not the sbo file. you may want to try changing the OUTERJOINS_GENERATION=NO parameter.

good luck

Regarding the PRM file, I found I also had to set the EXT_JOIN paramater to YES for the Outer Join Flags to become "undimmed"

Regarding my last message, I have since found that the settings you need in the ODBC PRM file [ODBC10en.prm]to have the Outer Joins boxes undimmed and the Outer Joins working properly are :

EXT_JOIN=YES
OUTERJOINS_GENERATION=NO
RIGHT_OUTER=$(+)
LEFT_OUTER=$(+)

I originally had OUTERJOINS_GENERATION set to YES but this caused problems.

Regards,

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back