Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

outer join with string value

Status
Not open for further replies.

beckybear

Programmer
May 28, 2002
US
I am running crystal 7 with oracle 8.1.7 and would like to put the following type of query in a crystal report:

select a.name, b.street
from a, b
where a.key = b.key (+)
and b.type (+) = 'HOME'

I understand how to do the outer join with the field linking, but I don't know how to do it in the select expert with the 'HOME' string. I can edit the SQL directly and accomplish this, but as I will not be maintaining this report, I'd like a straight UI solution.

I cannot use b.type is null or b.type = 'HOME' because there could be other types that I don't want to select.

I also do not have the option of creating a view at this time, which would be my preferred method.

Thanks.

Isn't the final where clause you've created redundant redundant (always have to say that twice)?

because "and b.type (+) = 'HOME'" says to return everything that is 'HOME', and everything else...

Now assuming that you still want this sort of thing:

You've two options, do it externally to CR (View or SP), or paste your SQL in the Database->Show SQL Query.

But once you go manual on the SQL, Crystal can't help you out with visual tools, and may even cause problems later when adding tables, etc.

-k kai@informeddatadecisions.com

Actually, it's not redundant and selects only the 'HOME' records or returns nulls.

I was hoping there would be a solution other than editing the sql directly, since someone less technical than I am will be maintaining the report. Guess I'll just have to go beat up on someone to get permission to create a view.

Ahhh, forgive me, I wasn't thinking of the return value, just the row count.

You can do the equivalent in CR (and of course SQL) using a SQL Expression to create a conditional column (which is what your join does), and it will offload the processing to the server. In Oracle 8 or below, use decode, I think that you can use a case in 9 or on SQL Server.

So the SQL Expression in Oracle 8 would read:

decode ("YourTable"."YourField", 'Home' , 'Home' , null)

And you can replace the null with some other text if that's more useful.

SQL Expressions are finicky, but they do work.

For reusability, maintenance, etc, a View or SP is a better approach.

-k kai@informeddatadecisions.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back