Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OUTER JOIN help 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

humbletechie

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2001
US
Hi,

Can someone tell me why the following SQL statement is giving this error?

Error:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80040E14)
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Syntax error (missing operator) in query expression 'Atty_2_CaseNew.Atty_ID = Tbl_Unique_Attorneys.Atty ID'.
/oe/prop65/attorneys.asp, line 48

SQL Statement:
"SELECT Atty_2_CaseNew.Firm , Tbl_Unique_Attorneys.Attorney FROM Atty_2_CaseNew LEFT OUTER JOIN Tbl_Unique_Attorneys ON Atty_2_CaseNew.Atty_ID = Tbl_Unique_Attorneys.Atty ID WHERE Tbl_Unique_Attorneys.Atty ID Is Not Null"

Thanks in advance!

"SELECT Atty_2_CaseNew.Firm , Tbl_Unique_Attorneys.Attorney FROM Atty_2_CaseNew LEFT OUTER JOIN Tbl_Unique_Attorneys ON Atty_2_CaseNew.Atty_ID = Tbl_Unique_Attorneys.Atty_ID WHERE Tbl_Unique_Attorneys.Atty_ID Is Not Null"

The underscores maybe?

I tried taking out the underscores from the code and the tables and I am still getting the syntax error. Below is more code:

<%
Dim objConn
Dim connStr
Dim Firms

Set objConn = Server.CreateObject(&quot;ADODB.Connection&quot;)
connStr = &quot;DSN=moosensquirrel;uid=;pwd=&quot;
objConn.Open(connStr)
CONST adOpenStatic = 3
CONST adLockOptimistic = 3

set Firms = Server.CreateObject(&quot;ADODB.Recordset&quot;)
Firms.ActiveConnection = objConn
Firms.Source = &quot;SELECT Atty2CaseNew.Firm , TblUniqueAttorneys.Attorney FROM Atty2CaseNew LEFT OUTER JOIN TblUniqueAttorneys ON Atty2CaseNew.AttyID = TblUniqueAttorneys.Atty ID WHERE TblUniqueAttorneys.Atty ID Is Not Null&quot;
Firms.Open()

While Not Firms.EOF
%>

I think GaryC123 was suggesting that you need to include the underscores for the field Atty_ID or is the field called AttyID? Either way, it won't like Atty ID with a space, unless you use the square bracket notation [Atty ID]

SELECT Atty2CaseNew.Firm , TblUniqueAttorneys.Attorney FROM Atty2CaseNew LEFT OUTER JOIN TblUniqueAttorneys ON Atty2CaseNew.AttyID = TblUniqueAttorneys.Atty_ID WHERE TblUniqueAttorneys.Atty_ID Is Not Null

Yep, that was it. Thank you VERY much to the both of you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back