Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outdoor to Indoor Fiber Optics 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

debarros

Technical User
Jan 29, 2001
SG
Hi,

I am new to fiber optics.

I have a OSP (passive optical distribution unit) having plenty of single mode fiber (multiple 48 cores) to a few buildings. The cables are outdoor and armoured. When entering a building, must I do a conversion from loose tube (outdoor) to tight buffer indoor before splicing or terminations ??

Also, is the splicing necessary or could I directly terminate onto fiber patch panels ?

Appreciate any replies.

Thanks,
Debarros

Might want to double check on the electrical codes, but I think as long as you ground the armored cable and terminate it within 25 feet of entering the building you should be ok. You can either terminate it directly to a patch panel or splice it to indoor cable.

Hi,

Understood that the armoured cable has PE that is toxic in nature when fire occurs. Is this a considerations as if indoor cable (LSZH) should be used ?

Debarros

You can typically run 50 feet inside a building with OSP cable. If you encase it in metal conduit directly from outside you may run 50 feet from the point the cabling exits the conduit. As noted above you need to check your local regulations to confirm compliance.

Hi all,

Thanks.
Any opinions as to do direct connectorisation versus pigtail splicing ?

Debarros

DHCINC is right. You can run 50' inside the building with a OSP cable. At 50' you need to either terminate, transition to a cable rated for the space it will occupy (ie: plenum or riser), or the cable needs to enter a rigid metallic conduit for routing to it's final destination.
As far as direct connectorization or pigtail splcing it will really depend on your application. If low loss is required I would recommend fusion splicing pigtails. The connectors on pigtails are factory installed and tested and usually of superb quality. If low loss isn't a concern then field termination and polishing would be a cheaper route. It just depends on what your skillset is and what you're comfortable with.

real quick, I did not mean to suggest that field termination and polishing isn't a low loss option, just that typically you will experience lower loss with pigtails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back