Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outbound Queues

Status
Not open for further replies.

drcab

Programmer
Nov 16, 2000
US
I have emails heading out of my Queues that do not have a return email. It is listed as <> rather than <user@email.com>. Is there anyway to track the reason or the origin on it?
Thank you.

Those are due to spamming. Either you are an open spam relay and those messages are due to undeliverable destination addresses, or you are blocking spam relaying and those are 'relay denied' messages attempting to be sent back to source addresses that are invalid.

ShackDaddy

No, this is coming from within my organization. Legitimate email from one of my users, I just can't see the originating email ID...

Usually <> reply addresses are created by NDR,s to an external address, Delivery & Read Receipts can also show up as <>, mostly it just means the message was created by an Agent rather than a user.

Chris

we had the similar problem, the destination is idenitifable, say which email address is sending to but the sender is unknow, and later we found that not all email was send from OWA will have the sender name listed.
so, did you check on that as well

The NDR sounds right, we are not running OWA so that pretty much rules that out. Is there any way to track the return reciept's or the read reciept's? Thank you for the tip.
C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back