Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outbound mail problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

aktaton

IS-IT--Management
Jun 5, 2002
US
Greatings to all,

We have a problem with Internet mail Service, e-mail sent to some addresses were stuck in the outbound mail waiting for delivery. After rebooting the server, we can send almost everywhere but one particular address. Although we can receive e-mails sent to that address we can't send them, there is hundreds of outbound mail in qeue for that particular company. We haven't changed anything on the dns, it just started this morning. Any idea? Thank you in advace.

Dear aktaton,

Even I'am facing the same problem...I searched everywhere but invain..

Did u find any solution for it...

Thanks,
Raghu

Nop, I removed and reinstalled IMS and run optimization but it didn't work. I will build another server from scratch and see if that fixs the problem.

What is the reason exchange gives for not being able to deliver the mail (i.e. host unreachable, domain not foundm etc). You can see the reason by highlighting a message in the queue and clicking on details.

If its to a single domain, are you blocked?

Can you ping their mail servers? Can you telnet to them and say helo?

If you send a test mail from another source i.e. hotmail does it get delivered?

Sounds to me like what Guy was saying. Open up the IM Connector, and click on details, that will tell you what responsible for the email not being delivered. If you can send to other sites, than most likely the problem is not at your end, but at the destination.

DV

Thanks to all, the reason it is not delivered is "Host Unreachable". I can telnet to the host and also nslookup responds but IMS returened host unreachable error. I run performance optimizer but still it returns host unreachable error.

I am having the same problem. Messages to only one location (unfortunately our Corporate location), are all showing as 'host unreachable'. I have done a telnet and successfully received a hello back. Most, but not all messages are not making it through. I have noticed that if they send me a message and I do a 'reply', the reply gets through, but an original message composed by me will not (most of the time).

Hi Brewzer, my problem is exactly like yours and I think I fixed the problem. Since they were our parent office, I configured my IMS server with the ip address of the parent DNS server and that fixed my problem. That is, oure E-mail is rerouted through their DNS. Since we have fast connection to the parent office, we did not notice any delay. Try that and goodluck.

i had a similar problem a while back. I turned out to be a DNS problem. We have two DNS servers in our network but i had only one of them listed in the NICs DNS server list and the one i had listed was having problems and did not have the address for the company that we could not send mail to. We could receive from them but not send. I used nslookup from the mail server to figure out the problem. Once i listed both DNS servers on the mail servers NIC, all the problems were resolved.

have you done nslookup from the mail server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back