Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outbound Faxing with MM 5.2 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jraykc

MIS
Dec 21, 2007
US
Hi everybody,

Wondering if anyone knows how to make sending outbound faxes easier for the user.

We have MM 5.2 with MSS back end. No Outlook or Lotus Notes.

Typing in the whole sting with "Fax=" and the "fax number" and the "server & domain" is way to clumsy for our users.

Has anybody come up with a way to make it easier?

Thanks as always.

Jeff

If you do not have outlook what are you typing the Fax= into ?

In 5.2 you would just share and add the fax printer from one of the MAS's to the users printer list and send it that way. No need for any of the fax= at all.

Ken Means

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

Thanks Ken,

I tried that method but ran into some issues:
As soon as I send a fax, the Fax Console comes back with "Retries Exceeded" and "Call Blacklisted".

If we can get the faxing to work this way, it would probably be much easier for our users.

Thanks again, Ken.

Document Id: KB01072340
Last Modified Date: 09-11-2009
Support Goal(s): Modular Messaging
Access Level: External Entitled
Version-Release

Modular Messaging Release 4.0 with all back-ends.
Details

Logs snap shot that shows the blacklisted call-

20080718 >>> Additional information obtained after diagnostic DLL was installed. Also added log -
411127984 [FINEST] T001F8 <fxssvc.MMFaxFSP> (GetFaxJobData) id 659,QueueStatus 0, Doc Name Mr. XXX-MSFaxConsoleTempPreview-#00000d1cd431ef4f.pdf, SenderName Mr. XXX
411127984 [FINEST] T001F8 <fxssvc.MMFaxFSP> (GetFaxJobData) , RecipNumber 2240940, Recip Name Mr. XXX

Details-
The problem here is that the QueueStatus is '0' but zero is not a valid status and definitely not one that we are looking for. This was thought as as timing issue or
a defect on Microsoft's side.

Changes in wi-
The fix will give Microsoft Fax Service enough time to update the job’s status from JS_PENDING to JS_INPROGRESS.
Even after waiting for about 1minute, if the status is not updated, FSP will return a fail a non permanent failure (FS_CALL_DELAYED) to the Fax service so that the job will be retried.

Description (Problem Clarification)

MM 4.0: Fax calls getting blacklisted.
Cause

The reason we were getting the fax call blacklisted is - FSPQueueStatus not updated correctly in a given time frame.

Known issue-wi00109011.

Native Fax: A fax may be blacklisted due to an invalid user account even though the user who sent the fax is valid.

Problem Fix/Workaround/Solution

Issue fixed in MM 4.0 SP3.

Resolution Plan

The latest service pack is available for download via the download centre on support.avaya.com-
Install procedure is available in the release note-

ftp://ftp.avaya.com/incoming/Up1cku9/tsoweb/mm/MM4_0/MM400300_Release_Notes.htm

Ken Means

Details

Modular Messaging (MM) 4.0 or above with MSS or Domino backend. Native Fax.
Description (Problem Clarification)

Unable to Print fax. It fails with error in Fax console, "the number is blacklisted". Sending fax fails.

Cause

While printing fax, under the "Sender Information" dialog box, the "Billing code" field is not populated with the "Fax Authorization Code (FAC)". So MM does not recognize the sender as a valid user.
Problem Fix/Workaround/Solution

Enter the "FAC code" in "Billing Code" field. Use the below methods to find the FAC code of the sender:

a. Web Subscriber Option (WSO), go to WSO Home page -> My Experience -> Fax Printing -> Fax Authorization code field.

b. Subscriber Option (SO), go to Fax Access tab -> Fax Authorization code field.

Resolution Plan

Select the document to be faxed.
From the File Menu, select Print .
Select Fax printer. This will display the Send Fax Wizard . Click Print .
Select Next . This displays the Recipient Information dialog.
On the Recipient Information dialog, enter the Name and the Fax Number of the recipient, or click Address Book to select a recipient.
Click Next . This displays the Cover Page dialog.
To append a cover page to the fax message, complete the required information on the Cover Page dialog.
Click Next . This displays the Sender Information dialog.
Enter the Sender Information and the Fax Authorization Code (FAC) in the Billing Code field.

Note: You are prompted to enter the Sender Information and the Fax Authorization Code , the first time you want to send a fax message. This information is automatically used for each

subsequent fax print request.

10. Follow the next steps. It works fine.

Ken Means

Ken, you are the man.

The fax printer setup in Windows 7 is a little different than XP (you have to open Windows Fax and Scan, go to Tools then Sender Information and enter the Billing Code) but it worked like a charm after that.

Haven't tried setting it up on a normal user's pc yet, hope I don't run into any rights or network issues.

Thanks a ton.

UPDATE:

Ran into several issues that make using this method of faxing impractical in our situation.

1. Faxing uses the same modem that is used by Avaya to access the system.
2. Over 700 users utilizing one modem for desktop faxing is not practical.
3. Using the web client would be much more user-friendly, but our users would have to enter a 41 character string to send a fax, which is not practical either.

Am I missing something about the Avaya faxing that does make it workable?
Can multiple modems be installed on the MSS?

Does anyone know of a better, more user-friendly desktop faxing method?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back