Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Outbound Caller ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

obiwan999

IS-IT--Management
Oct 21, 2003
US
Is there a way to track what is in the caller id Database for a particular number. My outbound caller ID is displaying many different name discreptions but i would like it to just have my company name. Is there a way to set this as a universal setting from the provider.

YES JUST CONTACT YOUR LOCAL LEC

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS

The name is 'pulled' by the receiving telco from the LIDB database. As PerryPJ says, the name is put in the database by your serving LEC or CLEC for the trunk or DID range. However, not all receiving telco's pay the $$ to do the lookup to display a name, so some people might get 'state name call' or will get a number, but an 'unknown name'. Another factor is if your LD carrier uses a 'cheap' carrier who doesn't provide 'real' CallerID, where the number that shows up on the far end is the billing number for the 'route' in that particular area instead of the true Calling Party Number.

Good luck!

Wait - I have a concern if the information is changing from time to time My outbound caller ID is displaying many different name discreptions

IS this really displaying from the Telephone number itself (name & TN#)or is the outbound call going through a PBX (you pick up your phone, press 9 and dial...then the PBX is selecting from a multitude of TN's or even a T1 for hte outbound traffic)? ONE TN does not change the outbound caller id at will via the LEC/CLEC, what is designated to the TN# by the carrier stays constant for each call. Now, if the outbound call is routed via the PBX and also the LEC/CLEC has designated a different caller id name variation for each line carried through them, that would explain the variations when outdialing.

You need to have the LEC/CLEC look at all the lines and have them conformed. (IF the outbound lines are routing through a T1, your PBX vendor may have to change something programmed in the switch but this does sound more LEC/CLEC related issue. )

Hi All,

I have been struggling with this problem for many months now and it just occurred to me that this was probably the best place to seek an answer to my dilemma, so here goes..

I have an office in New York City which I rent out to several subtenants. I provide a common telephone switch for the suite with 3 PRI's attached for all outgoing and incoming calls. When a new tenant moves into my space I either give them some of my 300 DID's or I have their existing number ported to one of my PRI trunk groups. Everything works great, except, when they make an outgoing call, I can force whatever callerid I want (usually theirs or their real number) through the switch but the name that goes out (gerts attached) is MY company name. Also, because these numbers now reside on my PRIs, I can't seem to get them listed in 411 or other directory assistance as these numbers seem to belong to me.

So my question is this.. Does anyone know a carrier or the magic words to say to a carrier to get them to port a number to my trunks but have the callerid go out and the 411 say the actual customer's name? Am I seeking the impossible here? Verizon and IDT both say that if the numbers are on my trunks they can only be callerid with my company and can only be listed that way as well. How do others solve this problem? I am not the only guy in town sharing office space and telephone resources, am I?????

I would offer a small reward for the first person who offers a workable solution, but I think I would be banned from this forum if I did. I would promise, however, eternal gratitude and a big thinks in return for some help here...

Harold Bondy
harry@mserve.com

Hi salo0920,

What you need to do is setup joint user listings with the telco. They would sign on the account as a joint user. This should be available, since it has been around telephony over a hundred years! But with the current crop of dummies in front of terminals most don't even know what a USOC is! Also this is covered in the telco's tariffs. Not knowing which Verizon territory you are served from, old GTE or Bell Atlantic, the GTE was one of the worst, at least in California it was. I'm no expert on PRI, but does the telco insert the caller id name or the customers' equipment? There may be a limitation on PRI for the name part, since this is analagous to a trunk group where it is considered one entity. If it would be better just to send the caller id number - no name - have the telco do that option. That way no name is sent on any number.

Backing up a little bit, as far as listing numbers in the book or with DA, this can be done but you will have to manage all the listings and changes when your tenants come and go. With 300 DID numbers that is alot of work! That would include any classified listings also. I used to work for a paging company and handled all the telco orders. We got requests all the time from subs that had voice mail and wanted to list the numbers. At first we did a few of them, but when management realized what was involved we stopped doing joint listings. Depending upon your turnover of tenants you may need more than 300 DID numbers because of wrong number calls to old tenant numbers.

Hope this helps!

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back