Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Out of virtual memory error 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sqlkid2k

Technical User
Mar 25, 2003
IN
Hi there !!
Using windows 2000 professional, i keep getting "Windows-Out of virtual memory error".

The error stated something like this...

Your system is low in virtual memory. To ensure windows run properly please increase the size of virtual memory.

I wasn't getting this error earlier.. How can i fix it ?

With thanks !

NO one can drive us crazy unless we give them the key

I am having the same problem with my work laptop. I found the temp file that windows is using its called temppf.sys and it's located in the system32 folder. I plan to run MMC and open the group policy snap-in for my local computer and make myself able to act as part of the operating system. This will allow me to delete the temppf.sys file so windows can use the real pagefile.sys.

I suspect it as being apart of a virus that has hit our company network via email and unknowledgeable users.

I'll write back to give an update.

The temppf.sys file is real and a part of windows.
I had forgotten that my problem ocurred after testing a harddrive lockdown for a traveling VP in our company.

JatCan's solution is the answer.

To: Jatcan and Shayweb

Thanks for your suggestions. I even tried re-installing the system (WIN XP Pro) using the Repair option, but that did not help either. I had lost too many days of work. Fortunately, most of my data are stored on another drive (FAT32 partition under WIN 98SE). So I decided to re-install the OS as a new installation with full formating. I had tried Quick Formating and that ran into problems with data redundacy erros. So, now I am up and running again with most of my applications re-installed and running.

The cause of my problem will probably not be known: whether it was a virus, a corrupted system file (possibly the registry), or bad sectors, or whatever that was the culprit.

Anyway, thanks for all your help.

So long!

dan432

Hi All,
I just spent 1/2 of my day trying to re-figure out how to solve this problem.
I had run into problem before when i installed a second hard drive in order to pull information off of it.
Once I removed the second hard drive and rebooted i recieved the "Limited Virtual Memory" error and then got shot back to the loging screen.
Microsoft has posted a solution but i guess it is not indexed properly.
Hopefully someone else saves time looking here as i have found other posts regarding fdisk /mbr with discouraging outcomes.

/H

i don't know if anyone is reading this thread, so i'll start another one like in in WinXP Pro forum, but i just started having this same problem! it's in XP Pro for me, but it just happened today. the only thing i did just before was to update the BIOS on my SCSI card and install ASPI drivers. otherwise, before that, all was well. i had to pagefiles spanning two other SCSI drives and one small one on my C: drive. now none are seen by Windows. no matter how many times i try to re-set them, it thinks they're not there... and they're not! the pagefile.sys files are nowhere on any of my drives. i tried setting the permissions like others here, and in the Microsoft KB article on the similar subject, but it doesn't work. and i only installed Windows the other day, so it hasn't been running long. i just built the system. i don't want to re-do it since i've just come off hours of installing everything how i like it. there has to be some other solution. i'd at least like to know why it happens, even if in the end i have to re-install. the system works fine otherwise, since i have 512MB or memory. only i won't be able to play any of my good games until the problem is fixed... :eek:(

thanks guys,
Alex

Hello

Dear all

Have any one faced this problem checked his root drive, I have experienced this problem before and the cause was disk space because - if i am not wrong - the virtual memory space is taken from root disk, so please check disk space and feed back.

moniema

Haven't looked at all the post's but I have had this issue b-4 when trying to install software. Is there a Palm involved or a Zip drive or any other external device attached? If so, hose them and proceed from there.

Hi,

I have Win2K, and just recently, I added a slave (80gb) HDD and added more RAM from 512RAM(SD-RAM) PC133 to 768RAM.

My System Specs are AMD-Athlon, 1.3, 60gb as Primary and 80 as Slave, and 768 RAM, Running WIN2K and Web Based Applications.

The Virtual Memory Error that I have been getting is

Blue Screen of Death -

Character Codes saying Error in NTOSKRNL.EXE

- Beginning dump of Physical Memory
- Dumping physical memory to disk

Now from me reading around, something is corrupted, is there a way I can fix this problem from not happening again.

I do have Virtual Memory dedicated to 60gb but not the 80gb, am I doing something wrong ??

Look forward to any help, u's can provide,
Thanks,
Magneto,
sparekhk@hotmail.com

This is for sqlkid2k whom is having the VIRTUAL MEMORY ERROR - I had that similar issue a while back and resolved it like this

These are the steps that I did.

1. I located my pagefile.sys and right clicked / properties and clicked on Security on it and added Administrators and System to it and granted Full Control access to both.

NOTE: The paging file (the Pagefile.sys file) is a hidden operating system file. To view these files:
On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
Click the View tab.
Click to clear the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box. (Note that you may want to select this check box again when you finish this procedure to help protect the system files.)
Click Yes when you are prompted to verify the change, and then click OK.

2. I went into My Computer Icon and right clicked on C Drive and clicked on Security and Added " Administrators" and "System " to it and granted Full Control access to both of them.

3. Restart Computer

PLEASE NOTE: Make sure you added Administrators -- Administrator is a little different. You can have both if you like. Also if you do not locate a Pagefile.sys " no worries " as long as you performed # 2 Step.

Good Luck !

Hugo

As usual, I agree with anything bcastner has to say. Make sure System has access to the drive with your page file. You might even be able to get away with not putting Administrator in the permissions list. I don't think there is a real "user" that accesses the page file...only the system itself.

I've seen this before and when all other symptoms check out fine, it's the permissions that bring this error up. I highly doubt that you wouldn't know to check free disk space by now...so I think it's safe to rule that out.

I have been having the same problem here, only the error message appears at the logon, and clicking ok sends me back to the logon. I can't access the drive unless I don't boot from it. I pulled the drive from the machine and put it in another machine so that I could go in and set the page file size. I did this multiple times, and the changes did not keep. would prefer not to clean install, but if there is anything else I can do, please let me know! Thanks!

I have also had this problem and it turned out that a user had restricted the access to his drives for himself alone hence the system could not navigate.
Check that the drives are accessible would be my tip.

PJ

for jessiem25 and others with same problem -
"error message appears at the logon, and clicking ok sends me back to the logon"

win2k is trying to use a different drive for the paging files

quick fix is boot to dos/win98 from floppy and run FDISK /MBR

go to
for more information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back