Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Out of stack space using Instr

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadForIt

Programmer
Aug 12, 2002
GB
Hi, Can anyone suggest why the following code behaves as it does. When run for the first time i get an 'Out of Stack Space' error. If i End the code and run it again any number of times thereafter it runs okay! Any ideas plus possible solutions to rectify would be most appreciated. I am running the code using Excel 97.

Sub test()
Dim abc as String, pos as Long
abc = Space(260000) & " vba vba vba"
pos = InStr(1, abc, "vba", 1)
End Sub

PS. abc would usually be a string read from a text file of similar length. Spaces used here just to replicate the error.

mmmm stack is memory, try adding

Doevent to your code,

also , application.screenupdating = false at the start
and application.screenupdating = true at the start

Filmmaker, gentleman and Ambasador for London to the sticks.

Thanks Chance1234. Did you get it to work okay on your system using your suggestions, as the error still occurs on mine.

Thanks.

PS I know it works okay using Excel 2000, so it must be a bug in Excel 97.

Chance1234
Would it be possible for you to post your code, as i must be doing something wrong!

Thanks in advance.

Sub test()
Dim abc as String, pos as Long
application.screenupdating = false
doevents
abc = Space(260000) & " vba vba vba"
pos = InStr(1, abc, "vba", 1)
application.screenupdating = true
End Sub

Filmmaker, gentleman and Ambasador for London to the sticks.

Chance1234

Still comes up with an error on mine. Must be just the combination of Excel97 and Win95/98 as i have just tried it with Excel97 on an NT machine, without the DoEvents and Screen updating False/True, and it works fine!

Think i might give up!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back