Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Out of Sequence 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhBother30

Technical User
Feb 25, 2002
US
I have a Check Ledger form in a database. It is basically set up like your personal checkbook register. The user has requested a warning box to pop up if they enter a check number that is out of sequence. I'm not sure how to best do that. I can't autonumber the field because there will be ligitimate reasons they will have out of sequence situations in that department. They just basically want to call the user's attention to the possibility of a problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Andrea

Andrea,

Maybe you can do this.

Setup this in an event procedure that you deem appropriate (place it after update of check number on a new record, or whatever)

First off open the recordset of the form.

Sub Form_Wherever()

Dim dbs as Database
Dim rst as Recordset
Set dbs = CurrentDB()
Set rst = dbs.OpenRecordset("tblFormSource") ' edit to your table or query
Dim CorrectNum as Integer

With rst
.MoveLast
CorrectNum = rst!CheckNum ' sets CorrectNum equal to the last checknumber
End With
rst.Close ' close the recordset

CorrectNum = CorrectNum + 1 ' add 1 to the check number
If Me.CheckNum <> CorrectNum Then
MsgBox (&quot;Check Number is out of sequence. Please correct.&quot;, vbOkOnly, &quot;Out of Sequence:&quot;)
Me.CheckNum = &quot;&quot;
Me.CheckNum.SetFocus
End If
Else
Exit Sub
End Sub

Now edit to correct the names of items, add milk, stir, and let sit for 5 hours. ;-)

I didn't test this, so it may need some minor editing in the code also.

-Josh ------------------
-JPeters
Got a helpful tip for Access Users? Check out and contribute to 'How to Keep Your Databases from becoming Overwhelming!'
thread181-293590
jpeters@guidemail.com
------------------

Glad it worked.. Whoops, just noticed a few mistakes of mine on the End If .. ;-) ... but you're VBA savvy, you figured it out.

Way to go!

-Josh ------------------
-JPeters
Got a helpful tip for Access Users? Check out and contribute to 'How to Keep Your Databases from becoming Overwhelming!'
thread181-293590
jpeters@guidemail.com
------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back