Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Out of Office - version 5.0.x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ole

MIS
May 17, 2002
US
I'm sure there's a pretty simple solution to this question, but I haven't been able to find it yet.

It is possible to create an "Out of Office" e-mail, but it doesn't work. When people send to an "Out of Office" enabled user, they do not get the "Out of Office" message.

Is there an agent I need to start, and where/how can I check things like this?

Thanks in advance for any comments to this.

Ole

Are the users entitled to running unrestricted script agents on the server ?
I think the first thing to check is who can run restricted agents and who can run unrestricted agents.
Find out if your users are in one of these groups by looking at the server document for their mail server.
If the users are not listed in either of these, then it is normal that the agent does not trigger.

Also a common mistake I have seen when "testing" this functionality is that the agent runs at 01:00AM only.

That means if you enable your agent and then ask someone to send you a mail for testing they will only get the "out of office" reply the next morning!

So you can not know if the system works untill the next morning.

The agent is in your agent list of your mailbox by the way. After you enabled the agent in the dialogbox where you fill in the details you should see it as enabled in the agent list of your mailbox.

Make sure the signer of the agent is autorized to run agents on the server.

Kind regards,

Dominik Malfait
dominik@amazingit.com

pmonett & dominik, thanks for your replies.

I am very new to Notes & Domino, so please forgive me if these are stupid questions. First of all, the "out of office" agent, is that a restricted or unrestricted agent?

Second, the agent list of the mailbox, where do I find that?

I have looked in database properties, preferences, tools, in the Domino Administrator in probably all the menues.

I am lost - please help! [sadeyes]

Thanks a million in advance,

Ole

If you are on version 5.x, your users have to be designers of their db's to be able to run th out of office agent. In 6 they only have to be editors.

Also, be aware in r5.x this agent does not activate until after midnight once set. It schedules more frequently in R6.

They only need to be able to run restricted agents. Unrestricted agents would allow someone to control disk operations on the server, so be sparing with this level of access.

Leo L'Homme, PCLP

Thanks Leo.

I am running version 5.0.x.

The users all have DESIGNER rights to their mailboxes, and they are able to setup the "out-of-office".

I have given them rights to the "restricted agents" now, but isn't there a way to have the "out-of-office" agent run more frequently than once every night?

Thanks a million in advance,

Ole

Hi,

In R4 and R5 it is recommended that your users have "Manager" rights on their mailbox. In R6 "editor" is enough as Leo says.

The reason the OOA agent runs only once a night is quite simple: it does not need to run more. Think about it: the systems awaits every incoming e-mail that day. It waits untill after 12:00, in this case 01:00AM.

If the owner return the next day at 3PM for example he will disable the OOA an nothing will happen for all e-mails that have ben received earlier that day.

This is the way it it supposed to work! If you run it more then this people will sometimes get the message while the person is actually already back or just before the person is leaving!

In our R6 this is just the same. I do not know if you modified the template Leo, but on our R6 here the agent still runs at 1AM only. And in fact it should not be any other way.

Do not forget also that the agent keeps running if you do not turn it off, and that it starts running the moment you turn it on. The dates you entered will not stop or start it automatically. Again there are very good reasons for this.

Now for the agent to run: do as pmonnet suggested: open the server document and locate the security settings. Put your users in the fields for both restriced and unrestriced agent execution.
If it still does not work: use the "load convert" command using the standard template to make sure that everyone is using the correct design. You can find the documentation about this command in the Administrators help.

Kind regards,

Dominik Malfait
dominik@amazingit.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back