Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Out of Office doesn't work to external email clients

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masterdam

IS-IT--Management
May 16, 2007
NL
Hi TekTip forum users,

We use exchange 2003 server and on clients Outlook 2003.
When clients use the out of office in outlook 2003, the external senders don't get the out of office reply. For internal users it is working. I tried everything, also in exchange 2003 the system manager -> global settings -> internet message formats -> right click on default ->advanced -> ad use v allow out of office responses. All updates are done reboot the server, but nothing is working.

Somebody any idea's?

Cheers, Masterdam

That should be the only place you need to enable it (it's disabled by default, and for very good reason).

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

I understand, it's working for internal clients. But i see no emails send from exchange to external clients. I tried a lot and looked for solutions on internet, nothing....

DOes the mail go straight out from your 2003 server. If there is a smarthost, or a gateway sderver, you might have to enable relaying on the smarthost/gateway server.

I don't think it is the smarthost of server, we use xwall on winsows 2003. I don't see a out of office reply coming true the xwall. But there something else i forgot to tell.

when i send a email from external client to internal client user@domain.com, i don't get a out of office reply,

but when i send a email from external client to internal client user@exchange.domain.com i get a out of office response.

The mail is coming in on the same server also true the xwall, but exchange server doesn't send to user@domain.com

thanks for your posts

In recipient policies are both addresses.

smtp @exchange.domain.com
smtp @domain.com

@domain.com is primary

Our installation has the same problem: Out-of-Office messages are received by insiders on our LAN but not by outsiders across the Internet, despite having started Exchange System Manager and choosing
Global Settings |
Internet Message Formats |
Default * Domain |
Properties |
Advanced |
Allow out of office responses

Windows Server 2003, and Exchange Server 2003, were recently service packed, and otherwise updated.

Still no solution, i hope anybody knows.

You also have to change the setting to "Allow automatic replies to the internet"

Cheers
jpaf

Hi JPaf, where can i find this option, and isn't it the same as allow out of office responses.

TYhanks, but these are the same settings, there is no option for allow automatic replies to the internet.

OK, fine. You've made me go and check the exact wording, it's "Allow Automatic Replies", the check box immediately below the "Allow Out of Office Responses".

If you don't have the Allow Automatic Responses checked, that over-rides the OOO setting.

Srry i mean allow out of office responses, this box is checked

I understand that "Allow out of office responses" is checked. Have you also checked "Allow Automatic Replies"?

Yes, i also checked "Allow Automatic Replies"

but it is stil strange that it is working when i send a mail to user@exchange.domain.com it is working, but when i sen it to user@domain.com it isn't.

We have the same problem. Enabled "Out of Office Replies" on Default Internet Message Format Policy. But OOF to the Internet still doesn't work. It only works internally.

I think i found the problem, look at the internet header from the email and you will see that there is no return path<>

the cause can be that your email provider removes the return path and the exchange server cannot send a OoO reply.

I opened a ticket at our email provider and hope for an answer.

will be continued....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back