Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Out of memory with 2Gb RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

pavla

Programmer
Jul 10, 2000
GB
I have an Access 2007 database with strange behaviour: the same database, opened with the same version of Access 2007 halts on my new computer with run-time error

2004 There isn't enough memory to perform this operation. Close unneeded programs and try the operation again

when I try to open a report while a form is open.

Yes, the form from which I issue the request (an Event Procedure firing on a command button click) to open the report is full of subforms, as is the report (full of subreports), but the procedure worked fine on my old machine (Windows XP, Service Pack 2, with 224Mb of RAM). My new machine (Windows 7 Professional with 2Gb of RAM) produces the above error. The report is not corrupted: it opens if the form is not open.

I would very much appreciate help with this problem. - Yes, I can close the form and provide the report with the information it, at present, is collecting from the form in some other manner, but the form alongside with the report provide a useful way of working. Also, I would very much like to know what is causing this behaviour.

Thank you, Pavla.

How are ya pavla . . .

Do you get the same results with no other applications running? ... use the [blue]TaskManager[/blue] to stop all other applications before opening the Db! ...

See Ya! . . . . . .

Be sure to see thread181-473997 [blue]Worthy Reading![/blue] [thumbsup2]
Also faq181-2886 [blue]Worthy Reading![/blue] [thumbsup2]

Yes, thank you for the suggestion, I did think of that one, too, and had checked the Task Manager precisely because I wanted to be sure nothing else was running. So that is not it, but a reply from another forum (I am afraid, I posted the query elsewhere, too, because I spent so much time trawling the internet not getting any answers at all) indicated that to run Windows 7 with Office 2007 a computer needs 4GB of RAM! Could that be right? Goodness! - So off to Microsoft site to investigate further. Pavla.

I had the same problem with an app I worked on, one of the problem was in the code, there were bunch of recordsets being created through out the app. I had to track down all of the recordsets and close them.

On rare occasions, I simply had to import everything into a new blank database and the app started working again. No explination on this one.

nordycki@hotmail.com

It's not necessarily true that you NEED 4GB of Ram, but it would certainly help. However, if your resources weren't maxed out before opening the database, I think that you should look seriously in the database's code, as suggested by Nordyck.

Any objects that get created need to be closed, and emptying arrays is also a good thing.

However, once you close the database, all or most of those objects, variables, etc, are automatically closed, released, emptied, whatever.

Is it ONLY this one database causing the issues, or is it ANY Access database? Also, is the database itself in Access 2007 format, or a prior format? In other words, is the file extension .accdb or is it .mdb? If it's .mdb, see if converting it to a 2007 database will resolve the issue.

Another thing to check - how often do you run Compact and Repair on the database? I'd do it semi-regularly if it gets much change. If you've never done it, that alone could fix your issue. To do so, create a back-up copy of the database to be safe, then hit the Office Button, Manage, Compact and Repair Database.

And if you can consider any redesign of the database, that may also give as much if not more fruit than all the other suggestions.

I would also be very curious - is this the absolute only item and/or application having issues on the system? If not, there may be something more to look at. You could try perusing the Event Logs for any hints of any other issues... Start Button, Right-click Computer, Manage, Event Manager, Windows, System..

Thank you for your detailed reply. – I think I am fairly tidy in closing objects and the database compacts on close. The database is native to Access 2007, too. Everything else behaves orderly.

I do like your suggestion of monitoring the memory usage properly from the Events Log, though there is so much information there. To be truthful, I have just spent half an hour trying to figure out what it all means, but am really none the wiser: tried to see if I can see any changes as I trigger the ‘memory’ error, but see nothing I can understand.

I am giving up, but I do thank you for your time, Pavla.

One other thing I forgot to mention... didn't think about when typing the reply.

If the Win7 system is running Win7 64 bit instead of Win7 32 bit, then you may also be using more memory for each application running. I noticed this myself on some things, when I went from using 32 bit XP to 64 bit Win7. The 64 bit regularly maxes out my 4GB of Ram for a couple things I do (audio editing mainly), whereas even though I only "saw" 3GB before of the 4GB, it didn't always max out the RAM usage.

Of course, that's b/c of the way memory is addressed in 64 bit OSes vs 32 bit OSes.

Well, hopefully you'll find a solution either way. Upgrading one or two machine's RAM, in a business, is generally not a very expensive cost anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back