Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

out of memory problem when using forms

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfc85

Programmer
Mar 16, 2003
KW
Hi

I have a problem when users access my forms. if i scroll the page up and down for some time, the screen turns pink and green and a "out of memory" message appears.

i think it is a buffereing problem but i dont seem to be able to solve it.

i am using 512 mb of ram and still the same so i am assuming it is a setting problem and not a hardware one.

i would appreciate any help,

thanks

sfc: Are you using an ".mde" file (i.e., compiled?)

no i am not. but i just created one and even split the database and still i am losing my screen. i have to restart or else everything turns pink and green. some kind of memory issue...

dont know

sfc: Very strange behavior. Wonder if its a monitor problem, probably not. I've never run into a situtation like that - except when my monitor was acting up but that has been years ago.

Try putting a button on the form with Me.Refresh; or even Me.Requery and see if that makes a diff. 512 should be plenty.

sfc

We had same problem here. DB works fine on my machine, but one of the users' machines same thing happened.

He was even given a newer machine with more memory and faster processor. This user does not generally multi-task. He'll open an app, then close it before opening another.

The IT tech trying to solve the problem tried several hardware tweaks: increase swap file size; slow down video board, and other adjustments. None seemed to work, but he thought it still might be related to the video board. I've not heard any more about it for a while, so I can't tell you if it was resolved.

Vic

When I get this message I close the database, restart my computer, then compact the database. This helps for awhile.

cainebean

I think there is a microsoft download fix for this. It's a memory leak problem. Does your application have a form with a wizard developed background? This was the problem for me and I went to the Microsoft Web site and downloaded a fix. Haven't had the problem since.

Do you know what the name of the microsoft download fix for this problem?

Plus what do you mean by a form with a wizard developed background?

thanks for the info

Hi

I think i was able to solve this problem.

I went to the design view of my form and removed the bitmap picture under properties/format/picture. The memory problem stopped when the picture was removed. The picture i had was simply a background i used for the form!

The problem is with the gif or bmp picture files i guess.

There is another solution which is by downloading a fix and it is called Microsoft Office 2000 Service Release 1/1a (SR-1/SR-1a) Update.

The follwing web pages would be helpful:

This might be helpful to the people still experience this problem.

Thanks for the help anyway,,

sfc85

Not to bring up old issues, but what happens if you don't have a bmp on your background and you are still having the problem. Please advise.

:)

PS Thanks for posting the KB articles. I did use an AutoFormat on the form, but it is one that I created???

Puzzled,
SATHandle

PS SR1/SR1a for 2000 did not fix the problem. - I'm running Access 2002 and still have the issue.

Don't beat your head against the wall unless you know how to plaster.

It definately is a serious memory leak in Access.

I tried everything incl SR1 etc. We have to live with the problem. Access has a few serious memory leaks.

We are switching over to VB.net as a result of this problem

Rgds
Len

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back