Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Out of memory, even with overlays

Status
Not open for further replies.

virtualhawk

Programmer
Jan 14, 2003
US
I need to run applications made in clipper summer'87, I used Overlays but , I open like a 8 to 10 files, when I open 11 the program send me an error "out of memory ..." i put the F=255 an the v006 but still having this kind of problems

What Linker are you using? You could be using PLINK86...

Try using other linker? Some of my friends have the same
problem like yours, before they are using PLINK86 and they
switch to BLINK.

reduce public vars, it helps when usings array,s instead of alot of vars. this will reduce the symbol table.

example:

public var1, var2, var3

this is better

public var[3]

Problem may not be in the number of files open but how conventional memory has been allocated on this PC.

1. Is a particular pc more prone to this problem than another?

2. Know how much conventional memory is available to the DOS session?

may wish to investigate a memory management program. I used QEMM on some win95 pc's running S87 apps and it took care of the problems.

Good luck

You need to provide more CONVENTIONAL MEMORY
via your CONFIG.SYS file (or CONFIG.NT if using XP)

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
FILES=101
DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP

REBOOT the computer...
From an MS-DOS Prompt check available memory using 'MEM'
eg MEM /C/P

Largest program space of 600K or more is good
If you have less than 550K you are asking for trouble
and need to tweak more applications with DEVICEHIGH
in the CONFIG.SYS file

Hope this helps,
Jim

Hi VirtualHawk,

This might be too late, you might already solve the problem.

Try including in your config.sys
shell=c:\command.com/p/e:1200
(c:\ - where your command.com is located?)

It works for me.

God bless,

Balarao

The problem of yours is that, the dos only allocate 64k and if your compiled program is 40K over the remeaning is only 24k so try to reduce or customize your source code into 30k so you can play more than 34k even if you will used an overlay. and add this to your autoexec.bat SET CLIPPER=F240

TRY IT...

The DOS environment allow to used the memory not greater than 64k. if your exe program is greater than 40K you need to customize your code and lower it down to 32K or 34k and add this to your autoexec.bat SET CLIPPER-F240 OR SET CLIPPER=F99.

Just try it..,

Many good suggestions. Clipper being am old program likes EXPANDED memoty. So actually, the EMM386 line should be

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM

Hope it helps you.

End

Well, Clipper (at least the DBFNTX and DBFCDX drivers) do not like expanded memory when indexing large(r) tables (say 6 MB or larger), because it tries to build the whole index inside an EMS page, and it's usually not going to fit, so it reports a corrupted index or data file :-(
That's why I always use the
Code:
Set CLIPPER=F151;E0
setting

HTH
TonHu

nothing above works, well only left the blink.exe program where can I download it ,for free!!!!
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back