Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Out of memory (-108)

Status
Not open for further replies.

philb02

Technical User
Oct 12, 2000
GB
When I try to open a 3.32 file in 4 I get this message. Is there any way of opening the file? It has had alot of work done on it and I don't want to start again [sig][/sig]

Well, [pc2]

I will be answering wrt Mac.

* Try to increase the memory allocated to the application.

*Turn on the virtual memory

If this does not help Out of Memory (-108) can be somewhat deceptive. It indicates either a file which has incurred damaged

Document damage at this level is very difficult to overcome. With this error, QuarkXPress starts opening the file but then encounters an error condition. It cycles and cycles until the allocated memory is used up.

Do you have a backup copy of this document? If so, I recommend using the backup. (Make a new backup copy, just in case you run into this problem again.) If no backup copy exists, try these tests below.

Try copying the file between volumes. By dragging the document to a different disk or drive, when rewritten, may allow the document to be opened. If you have access to QuarkXPress for Windows, try to open the document there. Sometimes by opening on the different platform, the document will open.

Also, launch QuarkXPress but don't open any documents. Go to File-> Open and locate the problem document. Hold down the control key and click on open. This will force all the pictures to be reimported. If there is a damaged one, this may take care of the problem.

Try opening through MS Word with the "Open all Files" option. If possible, this will bring in all the text as raw text. All styles, formatting and layout will be lost.

Also, you may want to contact Markzware Software. They distribute XTensions software (MarkzTools III) that will rewrite the file header of your QuarkXPress document. Depending on the degree of damage, this may or may not enable to you open the document. For more information about MarkzTools III, I recommend contacting Markzware directly:

I strongly recommend the use of Auto Backup. This way, if you have a document that has possibly become damaged, like this one, you will still have a backup. If you are unfamiliar with Auto Backup, you can refer this link..

Hope this helps. [infinity]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back