Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Out bound calls are received as ‘unknown number’ or ‘unknown caller’ 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2005
US

I need to have all calls that go out from my facility be received by the called party as 'unknown number' 'unknown caller', something to that effect. It is my understanding that this is the responsibility of the service provider but they say they can’t do this because it would block 911 calls. I have an Option 11. I’m new to Telco so I don’t have enough experience to challenge this statement. We use PRI. Any words of wisdom? Thanks.

If you have the books open the 1.5 DTI/PRI Admin & Maint and look up "Calling Party Privacy". It will tell you the steps there to set this up. But you do want to allow the information for 911 calls because if not you could be opening youself up for problems if someone calls 911.

With PRI, you can't send 'unknown' you can only send 'blocked/private'. Hawks gives you the right pointers to info, from what I've read. 'unkown' only shows up when there isn't any Calling Party Number to transmit. If it's there to transmit, but intentionally withheld, it will be flagged as private or blocked.

the statement re: 911 confuses me. In the US at least, the 'blocked/private' flag is a data element sent with the call. The actual number is _still_ transmitted to the carrier. (In fact, it is sent all the way to the far end, and it is up to the far-end equipment to 'respect' the privacy flag.)

bs o'plenty... you can chose to not send a clid and the ali that 911 gets will not be touched.. it's two unique fields. if you attempt to block your clid and call 911, they still know who called.. you need a better provider

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Thanks folks. John, my supervisor agrees (he's an old army telco guy) and said that our provider is full of it. But, he is saying that it is the provider that does the blocking. this isn't what I getting from the above. Sounds like I can restrict the clid and it doesn't do a thing to 911. I'm really not concerned what message the called party sees as long as it's not our number.

Well, my super had to eat a little crow. Hawks hit it. By evoking 'Calling Party Privacy' (CLBA) the called party display reads 'withheld'. Now what my boss wants is for this to say something other than 'withheld'. Any clues on this? I really appericate all the help you guys have provided. Nortel is no help at all.

Is it you don't want the company main number to show or just the phone number for each phone? You cna make every phone just show the company main number.

No, we don't want any outbound numbers from any phone appearing to the called party. We are a defense contractor. Security stuff. Or so I've been told. I'm just a drone in sector D. :) Thanks.

when calls are 'calling party privacy', the actual text displayed is controlled by the far end. Some say 'private call' some say 'blocked call' some say 'withheld', some say 'privacy'... The only way I know to get it to say something that doesn't communicate 'dialler intervention' is to get a 'plain' trunk group from your carrier with no static CPN prgorammed on it.

I have in the past setup a bogus number for my outbound caller ID. One customer had me output 999-999-9999. That was the number that showed, and the name would say unknown at the far end. However, certain PRI types will only allow you to outpulse a number that is in your DID block. In that case ask your boss if you can just outpulse one of your numbers (not your main) and set up something in voice mail for that number with a fake company greeting in case someone calls it back. Now we're talking "Spies Like Us" kind of stuff.

"You boys care for a Pepsi?"

Rob

I've always understood that transmitting invalid CPN was illegal. Does anyone know for sure, or have a reference?

transmitting an invalid CPN is only illegal for financial instituitions. This was invoked about 1 1/2 years ago. All financial institutions are required to provide a legitimate number to a Caller ID enabled line.

We did a project for Bank of America and had to check each branch.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back