Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Our of Memory Error in Excel 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathrync2003

Programmer
Mar 25, 2003
CA
I am getting an error "Not Enough Memory" in my Excel 97 file.

I have an excel file with 9 worksheets and numerous calculations.

I also have another file which links to the above file and creates charts based on the data in the above file.

When I attempt to open the charts file, it runs about half-way through my worksheet and then I get the error "not enough memory'.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

First thing you need to do is determine if the problem lies in the DATA file or the CHARTS file. Try making a new CHARTS file, from scratch, and perform a simple calculation. If it works, then the problem lies with the original CHARTS file. If it fails, then it's in the DATA file.

If it's the CHARTS file, I would rebuild it, component by component, until you hit that error. That will help you to isolate what needs to be fixed.

If it's the DATA file, I would start by separating each worksheet from the workbook into its own file and see if that works. In the least, this would help to isolate which sheet is causing the problem.

Hope this helps.
Michael
BASD IS/IT Dept

If you're running it on NT, Excel runs within its own 64MB memory space. Watch the Excel memory useage in Task Manager while you're trying to load the troublesome worksheet.

If you hit around 64MB when it crashes, you'll need to make the workbook smaller. Try splitting some of the sheets into seperate books, remove redundant formatting from worksheets, etc. that should help.

Rgds
Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back