Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Our monitors are being stolen

Status
Not open for further replies.

donbott

Technical User
Dec 4, 2003
US
We are installing flat screen monitors in our call centers, and people are walking off with them. We have used security cables to lock down equipment, but I was wondering if there was software that would detect the monitor being unplugged and email the floor supervisor, or otherwise alert someone.

I haven't found anything Googling and would appreciate anyones help.

DOnBott

Don't forget, a camera doesn't even have to be hooked up to anything if it's big and obviously placed. :) Just a big one screwed into the wall with a 2' piece of coax going into the ceiling tile can deter petty thieves. The ones that have a blinking red LED are nice for fake-outs too.

For ease of use. Get an IP camera. That way you to can get to watch what is going on they cost around 60-70 and picture quality is really good. With the IP camera you will be able to record them in your office or any other pc u choose to use.

I housed an ethernet webcam inside a fake camera body, then mounted six of the bodies in strategic places - nobody knows which is real, and if they question it I show them some captured video. It's been very effective.....

Let me ask this - do the monitors have plastic bases that don't have any electronics embedded in them?

If so, why not drill some holes through the plastic, and screw them down to the desk? It's brutally simple (if unattractive), and the cost is minimal.

You could even use some of those security screws which require a special driver to remove.

Chip H.

I'm just waiting for you to say they've started nicking the cameras...

Boy I think I used to work there, I had a disagreement w/ management though so now I've started my own business selling computer monitors. ;) Seriously, you need to talk to administration about implementing policies that will allow you to take neseccary action once you discover the culprit(s).

Donbott,
You said "We're going to add more cameras and try to get the supervisors to be more alert."

I am sorry but I think you need to check what the supervisors are doing! A little more alert, how about walking around some and open their eyes.

Why not assign employees to a workstation, when they come in if something is wrong like the desk is gone :) then they report it right away. Then you could check who worked at that desk prior and when they left. This is just crazy!!!

I manage about 700 computers in 20 different rooms on the same floor and in the past 8 years have only "lost" 2 mice and 2 sticks of RAM. This is a college and people will steal anything but my supervisors walk the area often.

Just my thoughts!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

You could just buy everyone 21 inch flatscreens. Those arent easy to conceal in a bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back