Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Our future ?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

possum61

Programmer
Sep 30, 2006
US
What is the outlook for us unemployed Nortel programmers ???

Jeezz Cant fine a job :(

Customers still have Nortel equipment. I was talking to a Nortel employee here in RTP, he stated that they are told they would know by october. He said he expects the designers to go first if they are planning on killing the CS1K line. he thinks as support he will last longer than the rest. the usual HR/ADMIN people will be let go right away.

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

Don't forget that Nortel is a global product as well as other products. Across the pond, Microsoft's IP exchange hasn't gone as well as they hoped because people over here like to actually hold a telephone handset and aren't to keen on these softphone applications.

Microsoft has gone to Nortel to allow the use of it's IP Phones via use of it's CS1K platform. I understand that Avaya hasn't got a very close relationship with MS?.

Anyway is it correct that Avaya uses VxWorks like Nortel does?. Another thing was that Nortel was brought out by a consortium of interested parties via the Avaya name.

For all we know, there may be other plans that will arise within the next few months that will be interesting for us all.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

the only bad part about needing a nortel job is you have to be willing to move.. if your in a depressed area, not a lot of people are walking off and leaving a vacant seat.. but there are around 1300 eng level jobs vacant at my last search.. i still get job offers from when i did independant work.. just pack and start calling

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

it think Avaya is based in Linux and Vxworks, Cisco Call Manager i think is based in MS Windows server thats why im still wondering why people like this Cisco Call Manager, and confused as well if the survey on the market share is correct,in my location most of the big companies are with Nortel or Avaya, there are few mid-size companies goes to Cisco,is that the case in USA and UK that Cisco is #1 or #2 ??

From what I hear through the grapevine
CS1K will be phased out within 5 years
BCM Platform will continue
Multimedia Communication Server (MCS) 5100 will continue

Anyone have any input

Thats what i heard Avaya is impressed with BCM which is i agree this is very clever box, BCM 450 now supports up to 300 users

Nortel Govt. Solutions signed a 10 year contract with the Feds. Avaya has to honor that contract, but Avaya will take over all Govt contracts by 01/01/2010. Verizon and Sprint are out. I signed up with Avaya months ago to keep the contracts alive. We are signed up for classes too. We dropped Cisco a few years ago, since the price and VoIP hype didn't impress any of my customers. Don't bail on Nortel, just sign up with Avaya, and keep ahead of the game. Traditional (M3904) sets will always be cheaper then IP sets.

DocVic

Doc

I am thinking about getting a cert in Avaya for my future, What is a good program to get a cert in ? And as well not being employed

That 10 year government contract is already over 2 years in place. The Nortel gear is being purchased from the manufacturer so they are still installing CS1K's across the country. They still have hundreds of sites to go.

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

I moved to get work. Work is there if you go for it,it doesn't come to you. I do not know any Nortel person who wants to work that doesnt have a job.

i just read a press rls from avaya, they are saying that they will continue to offer and support the nortel line.
they did mention the gov side of the business as a major plus

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back