Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Our Cisco guy is out of town and we

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcneall

IS-IT--Management
Sep 5, 2002
US
Our Cisco guy is out of town and we need to make an adjustment to one of our circuits. I've found docs on this but do not know enough about Cisco IOS to accomplish this.

We have a frame relay network in a hub and spoke config with ATM running into the central location. What I'm trying to do is put IPX back on the ATM subinterface and it won't accept the addition of IPX. There's a trick to get this done, but I can't figure it out. I've listed an example of a circuit that already has IPX on it below and the circuit that I need to add IPX to.

When I add IPX to the subinterface, I get the following error: %IPX encapsulation SAP is not allowed on ATM

From the sample below, clearly it can be done, but I'm not sure how to make it happen.

Here's an interface that's properly configured:

interface ATM1/IMA0.105 point-to-point
description FRAME/ATM PVC TO Transylvania
bandwidth 512
ip address 10.88.18.1 255.255.255.0
pvc 1/105
vbr-nrt 600 563 32
oam-pvc manage
encapsulation aal5snap
!
ipx network 4A003315
!

Here's the interface that I'm not able to add IPX to:

interface ATM1/IMA0.100 point-to-point
description FRAME/ATM PVC TO Timbuctoo
bandwidth 768
ip address 10.88.89.1 255.255.255.0
pvc 1/100
vbr-nrt 900 845 32
oam-pvc manage
encapsulation aal5snap
!
!

Any help on this one?

Unfortunately, I need it spelled out a little simpler than that. The sample subinterfaces in my posting show one interface with IPX bound and one without. As I look at the configs, it appears to me that there is only one line that is different(the IPX network line). I can't add that line.

A backup of the old config is available to me that looks like this:

interface ATM1/IMA0.100 point-to-point
description FRAME/ATM PVC TO Timbuctoo
bandwidth 768
ip address 10.88.89.1 255.255.255.0
pvc 1/100
vbr-nrt 900 845 32
oam-pvc manage
encapsulation aal5snap
!
ipx network 3333334
!

This worked before it was temporarily removed. Now, I'm not able to add the ipx network line back in without the error listed above.

I don't pretend to know what I'm doing here. I just know that I need to get the above network address on the subinterface. I think everything else is ready - it just won't take the addition of that line.

Can you help? REAL SLOW LIKE....

Thanks!

Silly Q but is ipx routing on router.
first enable ipx routing on router
Router(config)#ipx routing [node]
then interface
Router(config-if)#ipx network
Router(config-if)#encapsulation ppp
Router(config-if)#ipx ipxwan [local-node
{network-number | unnumbered} local-server-name
retry-interval retry-limit]

Of course both sides needs ipx

try looking at this link.....

it should give you a good idea on how to configure this. YOu will need to specify that IPX is being used. Under PVC configuration mode you need to specify protocol ipx command to enable IPX protocol over the link. Plus you must specify the encapsulation keyword after specifying the ipx network number. SAP encapsulation is not supported on ATM interfaces, so you can use SNAP encapsulation. It should look something like this.

r2(config-subif)#ipx network 12 encapsulation snap
r2(config-subif)#pvc 1/262
r2(config-if-atm-vc)#protocol ipx 12.0001.0001.0001 broadcast

where the 12.0001.0001.0001 is the remote ipx address. YOu do not need this if Inverse ARP is supported.

I would agree that it is a good idea to implement IPX WAN, this will save bandwidth. Plus, you might think about using IPX EIGRP rather than leaving the default of IPX RIP/SAP, will also save resources.

Let me know if this helps. Erik Rudnick, CCIE No. 9545
mailto:erik@kuriosity.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back