Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Our BCM 1000 was hacked...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyontl

MIS
Jun 2, 2005
US
What defaults need to be turned off so that people can't call forward from our voice mail system. I changed all of the voicemail paswords to six digit, unusal numbers, but we are still getting hacked. Any help would really be appreciated.

Disable outbound transfer and off premise notification.

Remove access to the PSTN trunks from the voicemail ports (active application DNs).

If you need to use OPN/Outbound Transfer, build restriction filters and apply that filter to the voicemail ports. Add the numbers you need to be able to call as overrides to the filters.

Also, disable external initialization as well.

Build Restriction Filters and assign them to the voicemail DN. You can also build additional filters and assign to the lines. If you do not use 1010 codes then see if your carries can block this also.

Go into Reports and look at the Mailbox directory and look for any mailboxes that you are not using. The report will also show you the Off Premise Notification that is programmed for the mailbox. You may find a mailbox that has an OPN programmed for an international number. I have seen that before.

SHK Certified (School of Hard Knocks)

I will check everything that you guys suggested. We do not use OPN/Outbound Transfer. Thanks for the help everyone!

I had removed any mailboxes not in use yesterday, when I changed everyone's mailbox passwords to longer, more complex passwords.

You still need to check the OPN on ALL mailboxes.

SHK Certified (School of Hard Knocks)

Make sure COS-7 doesn't have outbound transfer. It's default for mailbox 102 ( SysMgr) Most Customers don't change the password to something better than 1234.

I can remember there being a patch from Nortel for the NAM's and upgrading your software on the call pilot check to see if there is a toll patch for your version of the BCM.

acewarlock
What makes you think your being hacked?

We were notified by our service provider of calls to the UK, Phillipines, Saudi Arabia, etc.

biv343 (Vendor) 25 Sep 07 10:50
Disable outbound transfer and off premise notification.

Remove access to the PSTN trunks from the voicemail ports (active application DNs).

Also, disable external initialization as well.

That did it, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back