Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OU Group policies 2k server problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
We are trying to use group policies using organization unit and mmc to lock down work stations in a 2000 environment.
- we're following instructions in books and microsoft tech notes but only succeed in locking the server down - policies are not being posted to stations/users. We've used refresh - waited recomended 90mins ect.

I have previously used poledit in NT4/98/95 to achieve desired result but this does not seem to work in 2000 either. (Can't find repl directory?)

Has anyone come across these problems? -
- any suggested solutions.

I have not only come across this problem, but I have overcome the issue as well. It is not a problem with Windows 2000 as much as it is a problem with the way books are written on the matter or lack there of.

You have to first create a new OU
Second step is to right click on that new OU and go to NEW then create a group. In this group you will have the option to pull up the Group Policy which will only lock down the group you have just created. I have just learned to do this about three days ago. So if this is not all that clear, please let me know and I will respond while I am in front of my server versus trying to recall while it is close to midnight after a long day at work on administering multiple domains.

I hope this helps some.

C. Michael Sturgeon
Systems Administrator
CIS Professor
Lee University
Cleveland, TN

I Love 2K Group Pol!:

Checklist:

1)Create OU
2)Correct me if I'm wrong, I think if you are adding a group of users, you still have to add the individual users??
3)Configure User Settings, is another POL overwriting the one you want applied??
4)I need more specific symptoms to what your clients aren't doing, are they random?

Eric, CCNA, A+, Net+, APS

What does your security tab look like? Is the policy being applied to the correct user groups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back