Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OTM vs Procomm? Billing question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LUBBZ

Technical User
Nov 28, 2006
QA
Ok, here’s the question. What would the argument be of using Optivity instead of Procomm?

I have only used Procomm, Hyperteminal, TTY terminal to work M1s but my customer thinks it would be a good idea to get OTM or another "user friendly interface". The reason behind this is that they would like more information on the CDR.

Would OTM make billing recording better off of the CDRs? (ie. with in depth customer information)Are there other programs that could be used instead that I could recommend?

Any help would be great. Thanks.

What exactly do you want to accomplish?

Sounds like you're against OTM and want to find anything that will work instead.

One option is for CDR CallBill from Phoneware. Great program and great bunch of guys that care about their product and customer service. They're out of Ireland but have a US 800 number. Try and see what they have to offer.

As far as communicating with the PBX in general, I haven't found anything better than OTM's overlay passthru via Ethernet.

Ha, is it that obvious that I would prefer not to have OTM?

I am satisfied with procomm and would not mind having OTM but not to do what the customer wants. I think it is a bit over-kill when all I need is a simple program that will put customer information to a CDR. Call length is all they care about.

I am looking into the CallBill program, it may work if the price is right. Otherwise I may have to spend the manpower and work something up with Excel.

Thanks for the info.

the only thing otm is good for is cdr and there are way better cdr reports then otm.. my problem with otm, use it long enough and let it go down.. no one on site can use command? i've seen post here where that was the case. i don't use it and would not work at a site where changes were made via otm.. it's better then the old mat but not that much. and command line is user friendly, if your a tech. i agree, otm works way better in the box it came in.

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

For CDR it's an expensive way to go. there are alot of cheaper and better CDR packages out there. How many phones are there on the system.

I have around 2000 lines and a majority of the calls go over T-1s. Simple and cheap is what I am looking for. I don't want them to pay more money to get bells and whistles that are not needed. I have found a lot of programs in the last few days but most seem to be a bit “fancy” for what I need.

I have convinced them to not buy a new user interface, but now I only have to find what program will fit their needs.

Thanks for the ideas and keep em coming if you have em.

Lubbz

The other problem with OTM is that if you don't use it for admin changes (station) the database will end up not matching your CPND for example and the CDR data will be inaccurate because of it. You'll have the wrong names on extensions, acds, groups, etc... If you're going to use it for CDR and not station Admin, you're spending way too much money for a headache.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back