Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Other VPN problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tels

IS-IT--Management
Jul 10, 2001
GB
Hi there. I've got a Win2k server, and the RRAS (Routing & Remote Access) is up and running.
Nonetheless, other computers have tried to tunnel in and can't. I have made a VPN connection in the other direction, to a Win2k Pro PC, and it worked like a treat, but if you go in the other direction - error messages like 'No answer' and something like 'The VPN client is trying to connect to ports reserved for routing' (or something to that effect, I was told this on the phone)

Anyway, I would like to know *exactly* what settings to tweak in RRAS (Win2k Server) in order to get this running.

I've seen the explanation already offered by melospawn (thanx) and it makes sense, however I can't get to the options you noted through 'Configure your server' because the RRAS service is already started.... when I go through Config. Y. Server it just throws me into RRAS without offering setup options, normal considering it's already set up - supposedly.

Lastly, I would disable the RRAS server but previous experience shows this shuts down the network connections - downtime is a no-no unless neccesary. I hope someone can help as I have no other experience with this....

Just for ref:

Win2k Server with 2 NIC's, (1 ISDN, 1 Ethernet)
Network IPrange 192.168.0.x
Internet IP dynamically allocated. (soon to be permanent, registered)

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Cheers in advance,

Tels

Well I finally got the VPN stuff going. It turned out to be (you guessed it) the Static Routes setup.
Once I had lots of practice, the light dawned and I got the hang of it (turning theory into practice)

Tels

Sod's Law (aka Murphy's law)is very pertinent to networks

"Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. But only when the time is right: that being the worst time possible"

Hi Tels, could you tell me which static routes did you use?

Thanx & Congratulations Carpe Diem.
Carmelo Lopez-Portilla
CCNA
e-mail:clopez@infoport.digitainer.com

Hmmm I used 2: one in either direction

route add 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.1

and

route add 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1

I configured the VPN server to give out addresses from a static pool (address range on a different subnet)

On the client I also configured a route which pointed to the subnetwork 192.168.0.0?
I can't remember the details though!

Once all that had been done, things started showing
I'm now having a good time with Linux

Does anybody know anything about ipchains and kde network configs??
I'm in deep water with this one...

Cheers all

Tels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back