Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Other backup software with OnStream Drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

7wins

IS-IT--Management
May 5, 2003
US
We have a 15/30GB OnStream drive and 1Safe app is not working for us.(Engine errors, no full restores, no support) What else is out there that runs with these drives? Will it allow for compression toget the full 30GB?

You might want to try Dantz's Retrospect sw, it supports most of the Echo drives and compression, and it's not quite as expensive as Veritas or Computer Associates. Veritas' BackupMyPC is a pretty inexpensive option also, and both of those I believe support compression.

Thanks,
Greg

I am having problems with my Onstream USB30 tape drive. It was working for a few months then it stopped. I followed the instructions from hastec.com and re-installed the updated freedom drivers and the lastest software. When I try to backup I get a error message the Engine.exe is not running. I also have the veritas software loaded and it does not see the tape drive. I have tried everything. Any suggestions. At this point I am ready to toss it!!!!

Thanks

workingatapi,
The drivers that the USB30 uses with Echo is different than the drivers used with Veritas Backup Exec, so if Echo is installed and the drivers from it are installed, then Veritas will not see the drive. If you are getting an error saying the Engine.exe is not running, it may have been a problem during the installation. Try putting engine.exe in your startup folder. It is located in the Echo program files directory. See if that helps. If it doesn't, and you want to use backup exec, you have to use the sc2k drivers from hastec instead of using 1Visions drivers. If you need more info, let me know.
Thanks,
Greg

Hi Greg,

I want to use BackupMyPC with my SC50 drive. I currently have the sc2k drivers from hastec installed and the drive works perfectly with the native MSBackup program (XP Pro). However, the media is not seen when attempting to use BackupMyPC (it won't format either, the software hangs if asked to format, says the tape is not formatted if asked to identify, etc.).

I emailed Stomp about it and they said I needed to install the Echo software and drivers. Is this true and where might I find what's needed?

Roger

I think with BackupMyPC it will only work using the drive letter access (which by the way is significantly slower than streaming it) but you can only get that drive letter access with the Echo software. You'd need to install Echo on your system, then through the device manager change the drivers to the 1Vision manufacturer instead of Onstream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back