Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Other AD domains show up in GAL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2001
US
All,
I'm going to be integrating a few currently-separate Active Directory domains/sites into a tree with a single global root domain. The question has come up of what users will see in their Exchange2000-connected Outlook Global Address list. Will they only be able to see users in their domain, or will they (perhaps with a little clicking) be able to see users in the other (trusted) child domains and be able to use the GAL as a de facto company directory?
Thanks,
-Steve

You need to get all domains in one forest. Then users will see everyone in the GAL. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Excellent, thanks. One more quick question: is the GAL going to be one huge list of 500 mailboxes in the forest, or (preferably) will one have to drill down into individual containers/domains?
-Steve

I have the exact setup. If you have a root and 2 child domains, the gla will display everyone in both domains. Have you done this yet? When running SP2 if the container is not placed correctly, you will have major errors. I do not have the Q article handy, but if I can find it I will forward it on. We are able to see everyone one in both child domains, but when setting up distribution lists, you need to set them up and give universal rights or otherwise only the child it was created in will be able to view and use it.

I'm going to be planning and implementing a fairly decent AD domain splitting/migration over the next month or so, and wanted to be able to answer that question when it comes up. Does the GAL list everyone as one big list, or are they separated according to what domain they're in? (and yes, the Q-article would be very appreciated.)
-Steve

yes everything shows as one whole list. As far as the container, the information should be listed in the release notes of SP2 for exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back