Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OSX / OS 9 start up 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

quicktime1

Technical User
Oct 28, 2002
KH
Some where in OS X I checked a box that said restart in OS 9. It did so, but now I can't find how to get back to X. I have looked at control panels / starup disk which offers only the hard drive name and network disk. any ideas?

Er... Let's see (thinks in os 9) can you open the HD in the startup menu like a folder? I believe that you should see both the OS 9 and OS X selections then.

To go from OS 9 back to OS X - Look under your Apple icon, upper left corner, choose Control Panels, and from there Startup Disk.

under my start up disk there is no option for OSX, just the one icon for the hard drive and one for the network drive (which there isn't one). double clicking the hard drive does nothing, but thanks for the help. any other ideas?

Select System Preferences under the Apple Menu
Under the System section, select Classic
Check or uncheck the check box that reads: "Start Classic when you log in"

Hope this helps you!

there is no 'system preferences' under the apple menu. searching with sherlock did not reveal anything obvious. thanks though.

He told you the route if your in OS X not 9... Another route would be to put yor recovery disk in and reboot holding the "c" key. Tell the disk to install the OS (you'll have to d/l the updates again but if you get out of this mess...) and go throught the installation and it should reboot into 10 again.

I just had to do this when I was trying to figure out your troubles and ended up having the flashing "?". It's a small pain but one that should fix you right up.

this is from the apple site:

About Startup Disk version 9.2

The Utilities folder on the Mac OS X CD contains Startup Disk version 9.2, the control panel you use to select the startup disk for your computer. You need to use this version of Startup Disk to select a Mac OS X disk as your startup disk.

Important If you start Classic after installing Mac OS X, Classic installs this version of Startup Disk in the Mac OS 9.1 System Folder it uses.

To install the control panel when you are using Mac OS 9, drag it to the System Folder on your Mac OS 9 disk. If you are using Mac OS X, drag it to the Control Panels folder in your Mac OS 9 System Folder.

To use the control panel to select a Mac OS X startup disk:

1. Open the Startup Disk control panel and select the Mac OS X volume.

2. Click Restart to restart your computer.

For more information about starting up your computer, see Mac Help or the book, Welcome to Mac OS X.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back